• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Old Guy from Central Texas

Retired Mike

Hi, new to right group living in Central Texas where I retired 6 years ago. I've become addicted to night Hog Hunting and up to now my primary Hog rig was my Mauser M12 chambered in 308 WIN, with occasionally use of my AR-15. In my humble opinion, the 308 is an awesome round for knocking down Hogs, but the bolt action Mauser typically limited me to one Hog at a time. It took six months to get, but I just took delivery of a RRA LAR-8 chambered in 7.62 NATO, which is a first to me. From what I've been able to gleam from the web, I should be able to use my normal 308 WIN ammunition, but before I shoot it for the first time, I need confirmation that this will be okay. I have a decent supply of 308 and no 7.62 and good  luck trying to find any on a shelf.

2020, 12-25, Ready to Zero.png

IMG_1474.JPG

Awesome hog harvest!  I have a RR LAR-8. It will take 308 and 7.62 rounds.  If you are going to use soft point ammo, be sure to test it well as some semi-auto rifles have trouble chambering them.  I have not shot soft points in mine in quite a while and I can't recall the outcome.  I would say it was not bad, otherwise I would remember.

Welcome from an older Codger from Central Texas (Comanche County) That is a nice rig-up for porch shooting, if I ever saw one!.

I was a brown shoe Marine back  before the "Matel it's swell " 5.56 peashooter was GI issue, started out with M1 30 caliber, graduated to M14 7.62 NATO and got out after black shoes became issue. I still have my first centerfire deer rifle (a pre 1964 Winchester .3030 model 94. and a Remington made customized 1903A3 .3006, I built in the gunsmith course.

After that episode, I  took a Gunsmithing course and started my gunshop as a second job.  I got curious after a fellow Census taker friend in 2010 started talking about his affection for "Black Rifles" , Ordered a factory DPMS LR308 that was on sale for $500 plus a few pennies.   I used it to find out how it worked. after taking it apart and putting it back together several times and doing a couple of mods, started shooting it,  I really prefer the stock black plastic forearm to the round free floating ones, since I learned on rifles with wood stocks, and I get good accuracy out to 500 yards, well it suits me anyway. 

I am still a M1, M14 devotee, with a favorite M1A NM with a scope and also a mini 14  .223 which also has a few mods along with a scope. 

I closed the gunshop after Bill Clintom was elected Pres of the USA, I still work on my own stuff.  I shoot a lot of 147 grain 7.62x51mm but also do the .308 Winchester up to 168 Gr. Federal OTM in the LR308 which is stamped .308 on the lower, and 7.62 1-10 on the16.5" barrel  The M1A likes a steady diet of the Federal 147, 175 ,168, and shoots the 7.62x51 stuff.

On 12/26/2020 at 2:59 PM, mrmackc said:

Welcome from an older Codger from Central Texas (Comanche County) That is a nice rig-up for porch shooting, if I ever saw one!.

I was a brown shoe Marine back  before the "Matel it's swell " 5.56 peashooter was GI issue, started out with M1 30 caliber, graduated to M14 7.62 NATO and got out after black shoes became issue. I still have my first centerfire deer rifle (a pre 1964 Winchester .3030 model 94. and a Remington made customized 1903A3 .3006, I built in the gunsmith course.

After that episode, I  took a Gunsmithing course and started my gunshop as a second job.  I got curious after a fellow Census taker friend in 2010 started talking about his affection for "Black Rifles" , Ordered a factory DPMS LR308 that was on sale for $500 plus a few pennies.   I used it to find out how it worked. after taking it apart and putting it back together several times and doing a couple of mods, started shooting it,  I really prefer the stock black plastic forearm to the round free floating ones, since I learned on rifles with wood stocks, and I get good accuracy out to 500 yards, well it suits me anyway. 

I am still a M1, M14 devotee, with a favorite M1A NM with a scope and also a mini 14  .223 which also has a few mods along with a scope. 

I closed the gunshop after Bill Clintom was elected Pres of the USA, I still work on my own stuff.  I shoot a lot of 147 grain 7.62x51mm but also do the .308 Winchester up to 168 Gr. Federal OTM in the LR308 which is stamped .308 on the lower, and 7.62 1-10 on the16.5" barrel  The M1A likes a steady diet of the Federal 147, 175 ,168, and shoots the 7.62x51 stuff.

I come from a military family. My Dad was career AF, started as a fighter pilot during WWII. When I got out of HS, I knew I wasn't ready for college so I went into the Navy. By the time I got out, I knew why I should get my ass in school. My late baby Brother was a Sea Bee, while my other Brother retired from the Marine Corp. At nearly 76, I'm now retired and enjoying the hell out of life here on our small spread. Fortunately, my health is still pretty good and I can do what I like, just slower then I'd like. Maybe someday we can meet.

13 hours ago, Retired Mike said:

I come from a military family. My Dad was career AF, started as a fighter pilot during WWII. When I got out of HS, I knew I wasn't ready for college so I went into the Navy. By the time I got out, I knew why I should get my ass in school. My late baby Brother was a Sea Bee, while my other Brother retired from the Marine Corp. At nearly 76, I'm now retired and enjoying the hell out of life here on our small spread. Fortunately, my health is still pretty good and I can do what I like, just slower then I'd like. Maybe someday we can meet.

I will turn 84 ,Lord willing, in March, wife turned 82 yesterday.  Broke my left femur in 2017, and have limited mobility, no climbing trees or ladders.

I attended Texas Tech for Mechanical Engineering for three years, got a job in the oil patch as an engineer, took a sabbatical, in the USMC  to avoid the peace time draft in 1960, (talk about jumping out of the frying pan into the fire!) returned to the engineering job in the oil patch after I realized, I guess I was a slow learner, military life wasn't for me.

Retired in 1997 as a RA and explosives auditor for US and Canada, to our lake place at Proctor lake in Comanche County and since the Chyneeze  pandammic have been trying to stay at home. After this crap goes away, maybe in 2021, we will do some more traveling.

Welcome from San Diego. That’s a great looking setup you’ve got on the porch. Hopefully you find this forum to be a place you can visit often to share your retirement fun. A word of warning, hide your wallet now and watch out for some of these guys...they know very well how to help you spend your money on things you didn’t even know you wanted. 

14 hours ago, DNP said:

. A word of warning, hide your wallet now and watch out for some of these guys...they know very well how to help you spend your money on things you didn’t even know you wanted. 

Indeed - there are some real $$$-grubbing bastards here - you'd think they're on commission from some of these companies, or something.  If you have any questions, or you're concerned about any recommendations you've been given, just get with me.  I'll point those bastards out, right away.  They're SHADY.

:thumbup:

5 hours ago, shooterrex said:

It's because there are things he NEEDS. He just doesn't know it YET.

Yeah, He just don't know.....yet, .....but he will soon, anybody mention Grilling,  Good Brewskiing, the just right hard liquor for holding off the doldrums on a cold day? How alcohol and shooting don't mix but liquor and good grub do ?

Never mind all that reloading and springs and buffering infoing, Gas  porting/Impengementing,  maybe some buffetering? elevation and windage MOAing, MIAing, and K9ing and TACcating?.  He might think we are just into AR/LR 308/7.62x51ing , "Grease her up, Lock and Loading" and  etc, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's my first newbie question.   My new RRA LAR-8 works and shoots great without my suppressor, but with it it won't function properly  and is relegated to single shot status The folks at RRA tell me I need an adjustable gas block for use with the suppressor. Can anyone suggest a good gunsmith here in Central TX and who makes the best adjustable gas blocks? I see a zillion when I look on the web.

On 12/25/2020 at 5:27 PM, Retired Mike said:

Hi, new to right group living in Central Texas where I retired 6 years ago. I've become addicted to night Hog Hunting and up to now my primary Hog rig was my Mauser M12 chambered in 308 WIN, with occasionally use of my AR-15. In my humble opinion, the 308 is an awesome round for knocking down Hogs, but the bolt action Mauser typically limited me to one Hog at a time. It took six months to get, but I just took delivery of a RRA LAR-8 chambered in 7.62 NATO, which is a first to me. From what I've been able to gleam from the web, I should be able to use my normal 308 WIN ammunition, but before I shoot it for the first time, I need confirmation that this will be okay. I have a decent supply of 308 and no 7.62 and good  luck trying to find any on a shelf.

2020, 12-25, Ready to Zero.png

IMG_1474.JPG

Nice looking wife, and nice little hog, I'm sure you will get along with your Rock River just fine, and I shoot mostly soft points in several .30 cal AR's, so you should be fine... these guys know all about suppressors and I believe the adjustable gas block should get you up and running. Welcome from Central Obamastan!