• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR308 Gen I vs. Gen II

Hi Everyone,

I just found this site and I'm venturing out of the AR15 work and into the AR10/LR308 world. 

So, I know this has been asked. And, I tried researching and understanding before I posted. But, I'm honestly just confused.

I just bought this kit from cdnnsports. com.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/dpms-ar308-build-kit-keymod-handguard-burnt-bronze.html

And, I'm now looking for a barrel. 

But, I can't figure out if this is a Gen I or Gen II. 

Please help!! And, thanks in advance. 

6 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

When you get your build kit, measure the length of your buffer tube and buffer.  Weigh your buffer as well.  If your buffer is not around 5.4 oz, shitcan it and get one that is.

I understand on the weight of the buffer. But, why measure the length of the tube? Do I need to ensure it's a certain length?

40 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

There are 2 "standards" of length.  One is 7 inches internal depth. The other is 7 3/4 inches deep.  The shorter tube uses a 2.5 inch buffer and the longer one uses a 3.25 inch buffer.  Not all manufacturers and retailers understand that concept.

7 5/8" deep.  :thumbup:

53 minutes ago, CSexton said:

I understand on the weight of the buffer. But, why measure the length of the tube? Do I need to ensure it's a certain length?

Because if we know the internal depth of the receiver extension, then we know exactly what buffers to recommend to you to get it running right, when your (shipped) 3.8oz buffer isn't doing the job.   :thumbup:

• 1 year later...

Just started my first 308 build and the complete upper I bought is described as DPMS, LR 308.  I bought a LR 308 charging handle but after putting it in the groove, it won’t slide forward.  I tried a AR15 charging handle just for fit and it worked perfectly except for being too short. Did I just get a bad charging handle or should I be looking for another type?  I believe my upper is a low profile if that matters.  Thanks for helping!