• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Accurized AR Match 28 Aug 21

98Z5V

This is the stuff i live for now long range shooting tactical shooting a ton to learn and it is FUN! so 98 tell me about the equipment you are using gun ,bags, scope and how you are using it I know I have learned to shoot the right target with the right dope make a huge difference on the score LMAO...

Just now, Magwa said:

This is the stuff i live for now long range shooting tactical shooting a ton to learn and it is FUN! so 98 tell me about the equipment you are using gun ,bags, scope and how you are using it I know I have learned to shoot the right target with the right dope make a huge difference on the score LMAO...

Brother, I'm trying to stay hardcore.  No bags at all, because I won't have bags swinging around when I'm out shooting-for-need.  We enter the Open Class, no limits, so I could use a bag if I wanted.  I'm just stubborn, because I won't notmally be lugging a bag around with me...

I'm just running the Mk12 Mod 1, with the MagPul bipod and the KAC VFG.  I use that VFG as a barricade device often.  I use that bipod as a barricade device, too.  On that pipe pyramid, I jammed those bipod legs down into the space between two of those corrugated PVC monsters, and leaned into it.  Worked like a champ, one of the stages that I cleaned.

The first rifle shot back in May was the 6 ARC LaRue gun.  Feeding issues from the mags sucked, but the shots were on the money with the mil drops and dope.  The feeding issues pissed me off.  In June, I had the feeding issues figured out, but i'd already decided to take the Mk12 Mod 1 with me, because it has the PA 4~14 BDC scope on it.  I did great (better than first time) with it.  Longest shot out there will only ever be 710 yards, and we haven't seen that one yet, over 4 months.  In April, before we were shooting this, they had that one out there, so it's coming sometime.  That Mk12 can handle 710 with no problems, so this is my gun for this match.  Permanent.  I know the load, I know how it shoots, I know the wind for it - I'll keep using it for this.

So, I shot that match in June, and decided that I just wanted better glass.  Not that the 4~14 is bad - it's great.  I replaced it with the PA 3~18 BDC scope.  I didn't need the additional magnification - I find that after every match, and throughout every match, I end up on 11 for magnification.  I just wanted better clarity, and I got it with that 3~18.  That's a BADASS scope from PA.  I don't have to dial anything, I don't have to remember mils for targets - know the ranges beforehand, and use the BDC.  If something is 330 yards out there - well, that's a third over 300 in the BDC.  It's working.  Well.  If I don't fuk myself up...  

Last month, when we had to shoot off that Sex Swing - I didn't realize how bad I was swinging, firing when the platform was swinging back - and I was making it worse - until I fired when it was moving forward.  Everything STOPPED, right then.  I had a standard A2 on it.  So, after last month, I replaced that A2 with the VG6 2-port Gamma brake and the CAGE device - works great on the other guns.  Too it out to re-zero - and sure enough, I was 1 mil low and 1 mil right.  Set the scope - good deal.  We made our own Sex Swing, and I tested it from that, and I was smacking the 450 steel from the swing, as fast as I could reacquire target.  Made a difference.

I FUCKED UP for this match, though...   I got a 3.5lb lead weight from White Oak Armory, and it arrived on Thursday, before the match on Saturday.   Had to make it fit around the Noveske Flush Cup for the sling mount, that goes through the stock body, and it went in there.  No time to shoot it before the match.  I changed my zero slightly, but not much.  On tiny targets at 200-ish yards, i was missing targets.  At distance, I was still hitting targets - crushed that 655 first-round.  Cleaned that whole stage, almost-first-round on them all.  I think that one was 9 targets, i was out of there in 11 shots.  But the zero is off a little.  That caught me.  I'll take it out this Sunday and re-zero the run, so I'll post where it is now, and the new zero. 

Tell you about that 3.5lb lead weight in the ass of that A2 stock - it eliminated movement.  there were several times in this last one that I would miss a distance shot, WATCH that thing miss and send a follow-up hit shot - before the spotters were calling the initial miss.  It's a Camp Perry Service Rifle Match kinda-thing - but it works.  The downside...  Zero the fucking gun!!!   Other downside - I have some big .308ARs that are lighter than that Mk12 Mod 1 now...   LMFAO!...

This is the gun, as it sits now, brother - with that lead weight in it's ass...

https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_2021_08/IMG_0527.JPG.9e4925fdd29200a67861c9314efa4428.JPG

LaRue LT-158 mount, with 10 MOA built in - not necessary for the BDC scope - but if I need to start dialing, I can, and that 10 MOA give me an edge, for as far as a 75gr Hornady HPBT handload will go at 2789fps.  MagPul 45* offset irons on the gun - no matter for this match, but they're on there, and zero'd for 36 yards.  LaRue MBT2S trigger.  BADASS Ambi satefy.  That's it for the gun.

There's no scope level on this gun. I typically only put a scope level on a gun that goes 1k yards.  This handload maxes out at 950 yards supersonic.  So, doesn't meet my personal rule for a scope level.  Just the rationale for why there isn't one on there, brother.  

Edited by 98Z5V

Wow sounds like a blast,no pun intended so i assume everyone is running gas guns in the smaller calibers? this steel thing out here is all bolt guns from 200 to 1300 with a bonus mile shot. You are right zero is the key to it all and if you do anything to the gun re check zero... I once took my action and barrel out of the Magpul stock to see what trigger I had it was a rifle basic, i have replaced it with a Elfman 700 and it is a amazing trigger anyway I put the action back in and tightened it up and then went and shot I was 2 Moa high just from different tension on screws so yeah you have to have zero... I like the Idea about no bag but damn when i get out past 800 I have to have it still to see my vapor trail and impact but i might have to start improvising with clothing etc.

So our matches are broken down in two different phases big game and small game ,longest shot in small game is like 700 but small game starts with a set like your phase one, 4 targets first is 2 inch at 200 yards you have to hit it to move on 4 shots total at 2 inch 4 inch triangle 4 inch round and 6 inch square then the yardages start going out as well as uphill across canyon etc.

Big game is the same but bigger targets and longer distances but that first 4 targets on the same hanger is where you win or lose and both are times fastest with best score wins

On 9/3/2021 at 5:26 AM, Magwa said:

Wow sounds like a blast,no pun intended so i assume everyone is running gas guns in the smaller calibers?

This match is gas-guns, 100%, brother.  No bolts allowed.  This is PRS, in all reality - but gas-guns only.  Nothing else qualifies to even head to the starting line. 

Questions have come up about M1s and M14s - but none have ever shown up.  They'd probably be allowed in.  General Rule is - if it ain't an AR, it can't shoot this match. 

Edited by 98Z5V

11 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

This match is gas-guns, 100%, brother.  No bolts allowed.  This is PRS, in all reality - but gas-guns only.  Nothing else qualifies to even head to the starting line. 

Questions have come up about M1s and M14s - but none have ever shown up.  They'd probably be allowed in.  General Rule is - if it ain't an AR, it can't shoot this match. 

awesome.. I like that Idea...