• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Accurized AR Match 28 Aug 21

98Z5V

What a hoot this month!   Personally, did HORRIBLE, but had a damn good time doing it.  Cleaned 2 stages, blew 2 stages, and did mediocre on 1 stage. But it was a blast.  The people we had in our squad this month were stellar.  Great people, and fun to be around.  There was more comedy in this match than all the other ones combined - never a dull moment.

1959621973_2108stg1.thumb.png.19ad073fb05eb4c47b0b6a8d4c049797.png

951706975_2108stg2.thumb.png.855ff664445e25c9da11da37cb15789d.png

1736443738_2108stg3.thumb.png.36ce5fea7b96d845313541da027cfc39.png

1345125856_2108stg4.thumb.png.206a898274bd50084bad83d825eaa201.png

1320541853_2108stg5.thumb.png.130672b3cbd3c5887b844222795c3d71.png

Click those - they get bigger and easier to read.   :thumbup:

We like to sign up for Sqd 4 and start Stage 4, and we'll keep doing that.  @JBMatt cleaned 4 stages, and only one stage gave him an issue.  He did great, overall.  We had 65 shooters total this time, largest one I've ever seen in this short while that we've been doing this.  He finished 11th overall.   Out of 47 possible targets to hit, he got 43 of them.  I finished 39th overall, and hit 33 out of 47.  Stage 1 kicked my ass this month. 12 targets, I hit 3.  I hit 3 of them 3 times, too, with having to start over on target 1 if you missed...  2 months ago I cleaned that stage with ease.   Wasn't gonna happen yesterday, though,not for me.  I missed out on 9 points by blowing that stage.  3 hits out of 12 targets isn't gonna leave you sitting pretty in the overall standings, that's for sure.

Stage 2 was the timed tie breaker.  10 targets, and both Matt and I cleaned that stage.  I shot a 71.48.  Matt shot a 71.49.   Yes, you read that right...    :thumbup::lmao:

Stage 3 was 9 targets, and we both cleaned that one, too.

Stage 4 was our starting stage, 8 total targets.  Matt cleaned that one, and I timed out, hitting 5 out of 8.  Sucks for me, because I wasn't doing bad, just moving too slow.  My 5th hit was the far target, so I only had the 2 closer targets (3 hits on 2) to go.  Oh well. 

Stage 5 was 6 out or 8 for me, timed out again.  They rearranged those timbers this month, and I just couldn't put myself into a good shooting position.  It was easy to do on the way they were set up before, but not this month.  That 655 target was a bitch, just because my body position wasn't good.  After I moved on the timber pile, setting up was even worse.  Hit one after moving, then timed out.

So, in all, this month was GREAT!  Shows what I need to think about or work on.  It also sucked, because I was moving up there, and this month that didn't happen...  Another day, I guess.

Round count in mags brought home.  20 rounds per stage, 100 total, 47 targets to hit, I only hit 33 this time.  Stg 1 mag has 6 in it. Stg 2 mag has 6 in it.  Stg 3 mag has 9 in it.  Stg 4 mag has 7 in it.  Stg 5 mag has 5 in it.  Brought home 33 rounds...   67 rounds total shot, 33 hits total.   We've been seeing that we're taking 2 shots per target, on average. Not every shot, or always, just average.  Example: 10 targets on Stg 2, brought home 6 rounds.  10 hits, 14 rounds expended.  Stg 3 was 9 targets, brought back 9 rounds.  Shot 11 to get 9 hits.   

@BigNate came out and met us last month, and checked it out - and he came out and shot with us this month!!!   HELL YEAH!!!   I haven't checked on any of his details, but he didn't do bad.  First time out there, under the clock, really sucks.  Get through it once, and it just gets better.  Unless you're me, and screw yourself up...   :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I shot a 71.48.  Matt shot a 71.49.

I'd like to make a motion to have this stricken from the record, your Honor, on the account that I'm running a silencer and it takes the sound longer to stop the timer...  :thefinger:

2 hours ago, JBMatt said:

I'd like to make a motion to have this stricken from the record, your Honor, on the account that I'm running a silencer and it takes the sound longer to stop the timer...  :thefinger:

:lmao:  It was bound to happen, sometime.   There was always gonna come a time when I beat you at SOMETHING...   Beer Pong, one stage in a match, something...   :banana:

20 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

@BigNate came out and met us last month, and checked it out - and he came out and shot with us this month!!!   HELL YEAH!!!   I haven't checked on any of his details, but he didn't do bad.  First time out there, under the clock, really sucks.  Get through it once, and it just gets better.  Unless you're me, and screw yourself up...   :laffs:

@98Z5V is too kind.   I stunk it up...   and had a great time... and learned a ton - fixing a couple of the hundreds of mistakes I made between the 1st stage to the 5th.  I'll be out next month - and I expect will be a tiny bit less terrible each month.   To anyone else local to this event who is thinking about joining the crew - DO IT!  It is a great time with good people and if you put any effort into it at all I have no doubt it will make you a better shooter. 

98Z was kind and did not put my suckage on blast - but I will - because I'm looking forward to tracking progress... and I hope that maybe some of you who are considering coming out will do so - knowing that I never once felt anything but encouraged by the group.    

I finished 59th of 65 shooters with 17 total points out of 47.

Stage 1 -  2 hits

Stage 2 - 5 hits

Stage 3 - 6 hits

Stage 4 - 3 hits

Stage 5 - 1 hits (I think I ""hit" steel 3-4 times - but I got out of sequence and the last 2-3 hits did not count because I was on a target beyond the one that I was to have been shooting)

There were a few major lessons for me in this shoot.

1) - Learn your equipment / know your gear.  This was the first time shooting competitively through a tactical optic and candidly - the second time that I've shot through a tactical / real-time adjustable optic.   This led to a few lessons...

* Bigger isn't better - I bought a 6-24 X 50 optic - it is too much for this sort of event.  I found myself having a hard time finding targets - and messing with my level of magnification.

* Remember to set parallax

* Don't dial in windage...  Twice I had windage dialed in and forgot to zero this out before the next stage - and this cost me a number of hits (or at least a bunch of time) on stages 4 and 2 if memory serves. 

2) Learn to use a rear bag when shooting prone.

3) Pick up the pace... I went in to this thinking I should just slow down, breathe, take my time.   I'm fairly certain that I had rounds at every stage - and other than stage 1 where the miss resets - I suspects that I'd have done better had I moved a bit faster.

4) Don't "Ambush the target" / find stability - I have a TON of work to do in getting myself into a stable / braced shooting position.

There are probably 100 more lessons to learn - but those are the biggies.  Again - had a fantastic time and I'm looking forward to the next one!

2 hours ago, DNP said:

Won’t be the same. Need that pressure.

Well, okay...  

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Wonder if anyone will be reminding you of this come fall. :lmao:

Challenge accepted.  :banana:

1 hour ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

I'm going to send Tom a text in the future to remind him what you said.  :lmao:

No need, brother - this is committed to memory now.   NOW it's time for us here to count up steel, see what sizes we have, and really plot a few different stages out there at the SDTF.  We gonna make this shiit REAL!   :laffs: I know we have enough steel to make three solid stages, between us all.  The Tic-Tact-Toe target at 450 is easily the 4th stage, all by itself. 

@JBMatt, I think we can really make something solid here.   :thumbup:

This statement at the bottom of the instructions/descriptions, is always the kicker...

Shooter must hit target to move on

33 minutes ago, DNP said:

I still have some smaller rounds. 4”, 10” and rabbit. 

Bring 'em, brother!  Hell Yeah!  Let me know how many of what sizes, and we'll add them into the course construction.  :hail:

24 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

Already in the calendar so this old guy doesn't forget.

Screenshot_2021-08-30-22-16-00.jpg

:lmao::thumbup:

I have 5 full-size IPSC plates here, Matt has 2 and Tommy has 2.  I'll probably ask @DNP to bring me 3 more this year, as well. 

But as we know, there are never enough full-size IPSC plates...   :laffs:

I'll make a count on all the other steel - there's a not-small pile.

1 minute ago, shooterrex said:

Depending on what we drive out if there is room I have 1 full size and several 8"&10" plates.

I think we'll be alright on the full-size plates, so save that weight, cross-country, brother.  If it's the 1/2" stuff that we have, that sucker is over 50lbs per plate.  However - bring those 8s and 10s...   :thumbup: