• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

M80 ball difference between manufacturers

shaffe48

I'm using my handloads with 175 smk but thought it might be good to get some m80 and maybe m118 to see how accurate it is, what the point of impact is, and what the velocity is.  But I notice that these are from many manufacturers sometimes foreign so I'm concerned that what I get won't match with other available anyways.

I guess my reason for asking is the stereotypical scenario where the world situation heads south and the only ammo I  can find is some random m80 ball.  Can I just load it up, click my scope over from previous testing, and be good?

I've always felt this scenario is unlikely but given what just happened in Afghanistan might find some spare tanks and fighter jets to go along with my m80.  But odds are I'd have to get us surplus m80 to test for it to be the same.

1 hour ago, shooterrex said:

I have had good luck with ammo from this place. M80 ball and M118

https://www.theamericanmarksman.com/bullets-1st-7.62-m118lr-175-gr-125-ct.html

That ammo seems like a good deal especially if the primer shortage continues.  I read elsewhere it is remanufactured and loaded with rl15.  I might ask them what makes the .308 version different probably used the more blemished components.