• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Dune Trip 6-7 Nov... turned into 5-7 Nov!

98Z5V

Okay, here we go.  It came up in conversation maybe once or twice with @Moon Boots, and then it spilled over onto the board here.  I have a great group of local friends that I hang out with often, UFC Fight Nights, or just breaking in someone's new bar that they built in their house - crazy shiit like that.  Well, most of them have side-by-sides.  They NEVER take them to a dealership.  I fix them, in their own garages.  That's what friends do.  :thumbup:

So, initially, they were all planning a dune trip the same weekend WE are doing the Fall Shoot - told them, I'm out, love to, can't do it.  For whatever reason, then changed their dates (wasn't because of me) to last weekend.  They brought it up again, I'd already spoken to @Moon Boots about this, and she was in.  We were initially only gonna do a day-trip out in Saturday.  That turned into staying out there Saturday night, BUT!!!   WE HAVE TO LEAVE EARLY SUNDAY!!!...   She had to be in a wedding on Sunday at 4pm.  Long story short - we made it back in PLENTY of time, and she made the wedding. 

So, more conversation about this, how long will it take to get out there, that sort of thing.  She says, "Should we leave Friday night?"  I. AM. IN.   I nuked all my work on Friday by 2:45pm, asked the boss if I could jet, and he just says, "Get out of here, have a great time..."  He offered a '21 2-seat RZR to take out there, but she and I already talked about it and decided - with a hard timeline to be back, it's better to just rock out there in the Mitsu car, because I know that's gonna get us back in time.  No Big Dodge, no trailer, no dealing with alot of gear coming back - blast out there in the car and blast bank ON TIME...  Whilst out there, we were offered driving a buddy's RZR 900 with an Alba Racing big-bore engine, so I'm all about that.  Car-trip it is...  

The decision to leave Friday right after work was made, I jetted from work early at 3pm, gather up all my stuff, pick up @Moon Boots around 6-ish, load her stuff into the Mitsu, leave at 6:30pm.  We get out there at 10pm.  Man, I'm talking like IMMEDIATELY, get out of the car, and the whole group mobs Sarah...   :lmao:  So, Priorities of Work, in the Patrol Base - get cooler out of car.  We start it right then, fire it up.  I arrived, knowing we had a rig to rip, and wanted to get out on a night ride.  Now.  Well, everybody is loving up on Sarah, all the other ladies in camp take her over to the fire and sit in chairs, and the bullshiitting starts - with the ladies!  It was crazy.  Finally, I convince those that want to make a night ride, GO on a night ride...  We leave around 11pm for the hill.  We didn't sand-highway it, we went through the dunes, over to Olds Hill.  Right up the hill, on top, park, and watch the craziness.  We left the hill around 12:30 and dune back to camp.  Got back 20 or 30 minutes later, and it's only the ladies that are at the fire (that didn't go on the ride)...  So, Sarah goes straight to the fire, to continue the conversations that I rudely interrupted with a night ride wish...  

The guys all go to bed, so I'm at the fire with Sarah, Jeni, and Jenn...   and me...   FML.  This went on until 3:15am...   and the decision was made that we need to get some sleep, or tomorrow is gonna JUST SUCK...

To Be Continued...   :banana:

4 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Part 2 is gonna be about road-trip music...  THIS is the first song on the "mystery CDs" that kicked it off...   I swear...   :laffs:

I was dying 😂. For background for everyone, I was warned that Tom didn’t have Bluetooth so I joked about a ton of old cd’s that had been burned for me off Limewire. Just my name and a date, no clue what’s the on them. 04, 05, etc. Went from Gwen Steffani to Eminem to Linkin Park to Tool. It was a very entertaining trip. 

So, here we go, Part 2...

I got there and picked up @Moon Boots, we packed the car, and she asks "Can I mix a drink before we go?"  Oh, hell yeah you can girl.  Get after it already.  We drive.

So, here's me in the old-skool car, 2001 Mitsu Eplipse, no blue-tooth...  but I have the factory CD deck.  But she's got an old-stock of old CDs.  Perfect....:laffs:

That turned into something else on the road trip, and it was total hilarity the entire time, never knowing what song was coming up next... 1/2 way through the trip out there , she asks if it's okay if she mixes another drink.  My response was simple - "Hell yeah girl, I encourage it....  better to meet my crazy-ass friends if you're comfortable."

She was nervous meeting these new people, initially. That faded immediately, upon arrival, as soon as she was mobbed when we got out of the car.   :lmao:

I really wanted to feel bad about that, but I could only laugh.  My ass off.   :laffs::banana:

You killed it, chica...  Just being you...  :hail:

• 2 weeks later...

Found I couple pics that I knew I had - just been a busy couple of weekends, back to back...

Saturday night sunset.  We ended up rescuing a dude about 300 yards from camp that night.  New owner, with his little kid, hung up on an 8-ft high hill, just buried it.  That's what new people do out there, hammer down and get stuck.

Here's the sunset...

IMG_0620.thumb.JPG.a38d534be43e80e9ee494db5fac7fe1e.JPG

Saturday, during a day run, our buddy Mark STUCK his rig hard.  We all turned and went back, and see this - no right rear wheel, no halfshaft, no trailing arm, no radius rod...  I pulled up on the hill above him, and just look down about 15 yards, and I'm thinking...  "Where the fuk is the right rear wheel, and I need to go look for it...  somewhere downhill..."

He just got way off-camber, and buried that thing, ALL THE WAY under sand.  It didn't take long to get him out, but Joe gave it a good rip with his tow strap, on a 300hp rig, trying to rip him downhill.  That ended badly, filling Mark's rig FULL OF SAND!...   :lmao:   Mark looked like a sugar cookie about 0.2 seconds after Joe slammed the pedal...   :laffs:

We ended up lifting the rig out, little at a time -pick it up by the roll cage, get the tire out of the hole, the sand fills in the hole underneath the tire.   This is me, getting the mountain of said off the roof, so we weren't eating it lifting from the downhill side.  Pic courtesy of @Moon Boots , up in the rig on top of the next ledge. 

413948711_Markgotstuck.thumb.jpg.2139c215501bd7d641b32a099ca0cf8e.jpg

That sand is 'UGE out there, men.  Massive.   :hail:

Edited by 98Z5V

Just now, DNP said:

Man I miss the dunes. 

Brother, I miss you IN the dunes.  It's been way too long, and we need to do it again.  I think I know a guy I can borrow a cage from, and get back out there.  I have a cool co-driver on standby for the next one.  

Next trip out for the local guys - you'd LOVE them and fit right in.  New years.  I'll get the exact dates soon, because I'm planning it.  The LT-R is going, for at least a few rips so I can let loose, so  @Moon Boots will have to ride with Kevin or Marco on those trips.  I need to get that fucker back out there in the sand, on knobs, and fuk some shiit up with it.