• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

The US Army chooses a new round

7 minutes ago, NightStalker said:

I guess Afghanistan proved they need longer range as well. The 7.62x54 I guess really put our guys at disadvantages 

Just my opinion, but I think we have solutions that are better than having the entire team/squad/platoon carry what is essentially a DMR. JMO

12 minutes ago, Czgunner said:

Just be aware that many of these VS presentations are using the anemic Remington 6.8 loads. They screwed up the chamber drawing. If you are using real 6.8 loads, they compete with the Grendel way out there. Handloading is where it's at!

I hear ya might build a 6.8 upper next not sure though 

13 minutes ago, NightStalker said:

I hear ya might build a 6.8 upper next not sure though 

I think they're both great and do pretty much the same thing. I've been shooting the 6.8 SPC since 2008, so that's what I'm most familiar with. There's a really good forum for that cartridge if you want some good info.

21 hours ago, NightStalker said:

Is it an m4 size, I can’t tell from the pictures. 
I agree looks and sounds like a mean system, and I’d love to get my hands on it. 

The new experimental test-bed gun is a .277 Fury Caliber, I linked to that above.  That's Large Frame AR.

The 6 ARC is Small Frame, in AR15 Receivers.  Read this, for 6 ARC:

9 hours ago, NightStalker said:

So why not just use the 6.5 Grendel?

Grendel is the most perfect, efficient caliber ever devised for the AR15 platform.  Ever.  Then, along comes some SOF dudes, and they want something just a LEEEETLE BEET MORE...   So, the solicitation went out, and Hornady developed the 6 ARC round for them.  It's 6.5 Grendel, running a 6mm projectile instead of a 6.5mm projectile, and the pushed the shoulder on the Grendel cartridge back another 0.030, so it had a longer neck - to seat those long 6mm projectiles.  ARC shoots flatter than Grendel, for more distance. 

Grendel is fantastic.  6 ARC is a modified Grendel cartridge, and a very teeny bit better than a Grendel.  All in an AR15 frame.

Again, this new gun is not an AR15-framed gun.  This new .277 Fury cartridge, cramming 80.000 psi of pressure.

7 hours ago, Czgunner said:

Large size platform similar to the 308 AR.

The new gun, if that's what you're talking about.  6 ARC, no, if that's what you're talking about.  I think he was talking about the ARC, but you answered with the new gun info, being large framed. 

7 hours ago, Czgunner said:

Cannot defeat level IV plates.

Nothing does yet, in small arms, yet, and that includes the new .277 Fury cartridge.  Which is this new gun. 

4 hours ago, NightStalker said:

I guess Afghanistan proved they need longer range as well. The 7.62x54 I guess really put our guys at disadvantages 

Those guns weren't really an issue over there.  Compared to a squad with M4s, of course the .311 had more stand-off.  Run some 240s against those fukkers, and they'd bug out. Then, give 'em the .50 and the Mk19 from the gun trucks.  The M4 with 62gr SS109 has you at some distance limitations, the ammo is 550 meters point-target from a 20" M16A2.  Run Mk262 through M4s, and your range increases.  Run some Mk12 guns on the deployment with Mk262, and increase your range more.  As I've stated - Mk12 can run 850 easy, with light wind.  Mk12 can run 850 in a 14.9mph wind, with wind holds that work.  Mk12 can run 1050 and it's not that hard in a light-wind condition - all with 75 or 77gr loads.  Terminal performance might suck, at those distances, but the dude that has the leak from it won't be coming any closer - and neither will any of his buddies that saw it, or are taking care of him.

Edited by 98Z5V

34 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

The new gun, if that's what you're talking about.  6 ARC, no, if that's what you're talking about.  I think he was talking about the ARC, but you answered with the new gun info, being large framed.

Yes, sorry if I got my wires crossed. I thought we were talking about the new service rifle.

Nothing does yet, in small arms, yet, and that includes the new .277 Fury cartridge.  Which is this new gun. 

I was pretty sure this new 6.8x51 does defeat near peer lvl IV plates. Maybe I misunderstood what I've been hearing.

3 minutes ago, Czgunner said:

I was pretty sure this new 6.8x51 does defeat near peer lvl IV plates. Maybe I misunderstood what I've been hearing.

Post up what you've been hearing/reading.  I've dug pretty deep on it, and they've never disclosed "what" body armor they're going after.  There are also no ballistic performance tests published on the cartridge yet, that I've been able to find.  I'd love to see what you were reading, and links would be appreciated greatly.

Edited by 98Z5V

The 6 ARC, on the other hand.  If Grendel is the most perfect, efficient cartridge ever developed for the AR15 platform, the ARC bumped that just a little bit. 

I have extensive writeups on the Grendel here, and how it performs, in various configurations.  It's stellar.  I also wrote about the .224 Valk.  Built one, to test against the original Grendel.  I've written about the ARC, too, compared to those 2 platforms, and the ARC wins.

Here's the ARC that beat them both:

thumbnail_IMG_0878.jpg.7b1c80fd7acf7f1e28d0cbbd4001b679.jpg

IMG_0354.JPG.c820ce5307a3efa5d28632d1fa552e6e.JPG

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

The 6 ARC, on the other hand.  If Grendel is the most perfect, efficient cartridge ever developed for the AR15 platform, the ARC bumped that just a little bit. 

I have extensive writeups on the Grendel here, and how it performs, in various configurations.  It's stellar.  I also wrote about the .224 Valk.  Built one, to test against the original Grendel.  I've written about the ARC, too, compared to those 2 platforms, and the ARC wins.

Here's the ARC that beat them both:

thumbnail_IMG_0878.jpg.7b1c80fd7acf7f1e28d0cbbd4001b679.jpg

IMG_0354.JPG.c820ce5307a3efa5d28632d1fa552e6e.JPG

Sounds interesting. I'll have to look into the ARC.

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Post up what you've been hearing/reading.  I've dug pretty deep on it, and they've never disclosed "what" body armor they're going after.  There are also no ballistic performance tests published on the cartridge yet, that I've been able to find.  I'd love to see what you were reading, and links would be appreciated greatly.

I agree with you about armor specifics. I can't seem to find anything specific, but that D-bag General Milley was quoted as saying something about defeating body armor and any future armor. I can't stand that moron.

The entire premise seems strange to me anyway. What military will we fight that is employing armor? Russia? Doesn't seem that way. China? They like our money too much.