• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Addition to the family...

So I thought I'd introduce my new rifle to all the good folks here, please excuse the poor quality of the phone-camera pictures, but they are all I have ATM.

Here's the rifle as purchased:

img1270004187354.jpg

[img width=800 height=600]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/jm_cross/img1270004187663.jpg

[img width=800 height=600]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/jm_cross/img1270004187787.jpg

Under construction:

[img width=800 height=600]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/jm_cross/img1270088138909.jpg

...and more pics to follow once completed.

The rifle is currently configured as follows:

DPMS LR308 w/ 24'' SS Bull Barrel

JP Adjustable Trigger, installed & adjusted myself.

SPR Tactical Grip

Harris S Series Bipod

Edit: Badger Ordinance Tactical Latch

Edit: LaRue Tactical QD SPR-S Mount LT-158  (1 Inch)

Edit: Mueller 8.5 - 25 x 44 Tactical w/ Mil-Dot Reticle

Awaiting installation are:

JP VTAC Free Floating full-length modular handguard w/ 2" picatinny

LaRue Tactical QD sling stud for bipod - Picatinny mounted

This baby has me really excited, I can't wait to send some rounds downrange with it.

Edit: New pics below!!

If you still want one, mine came within normal shipping dates, so I'd say they're restocked. The only thing that JP had on backorder was actually the 2" picatinny rail for my LaRue QD sling stud. The VTAC came immediately.

Edit:

The SPR-S mount and Mueller optic are now installed!!!

img1270596862480.jpg

[img width=800 height=600]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/jm_cross/img1270596862185.jpg

[img width=800 height=600]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/jm_cross/img1270596862727.jpg

Only the VTAC and QR sling stud remain to be installed!

Interesting that you should mention weight, I weighed it today @ work, (chemical factory) and without the scope & mount the rifle (w/ magazine &  bipod) totals 12.288 lbs. Unfortunately, my scope mount didn't arrive in time to get my range time in, so I will be waiting for Saturday to come before I can shoot it. Everybody that I know personally that has seen this gun now wants one  ;D

Someone posted that their rifle weighed 10 1/2 lbs (LR-308 w/24 bull barrel). I thought that was kinda light as thats what mine weighed with the scope mounted after I had the barrel recontoured. They are good shooters, but too heavy for a general purpose rifle. Unless you keep a bench in your pocket. A 20" medium or light contour barrel would be much more user friendly if your planning to walk around with it much. It's too bad the 308 heats up so fast, one 20 round mag will make a light barrel hot enough to brand you.

Unless you keep a bench in your pocket. A 20" medium or light contour barrel would be much more user friendly if your planning to walk around with it much. It's too bad the 308 heats up so fast, one 20 round mag will make a light barrel hot enough to brand you.

LOL

The rifle + a bench = slightly more weight than I can carry, but I have noticed that the ground seems to be underneath me with alarming frequency, meaning the world is just one great big benchrest. Thank goodness for bipods!

On a more serious note, I wouldn't care to pack this rifle over any extended distances (more than 5 miles a day anyways) but if you're used to hiking/hunting with a well-equipped pack, the weight of this rifle when slung across your back is really not too bad at all. Then again, I'm fairly young and used to running 3 flights of stairs continuously 8 hrs daily 5 days a week. If my plant had an elevator, I'd be screwed indeed.

I spent some time humpin' a 60 and 300 rds ammo plus the full field pack. I'm pretty sure I could have been replaced with a jackass, a monkey and a large bunch of bananas. I have the bad knees and bad back to prove it. I'm more into light rifles now, something less than 10 lbs ready to rock n' roll.

I tell you sir, I have the utmost respect for active duty and ex-military for their service, and you have my thanks. WW2 was your war if you needed the services of a pack-mule... from the little I know about Vietnam ( I'm guessing that was your war, based on carrying the M60 ) all the mules were decommissioned and the jackasses were all in high command.

Desert Storm was my war, by that time I gave up the 60 for a tank, though the tank was just about as hard on the knees and back as bein' a grunt. I was never particularly impressed with the 60. It is too fragile a design, and the rate of fire is too slow. The 240 is a much better weapon, and anything based on it.