• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Opinions on this build

RoadW3

Ok well after a few weeks of reading and getting up to speed on the 308 platform I purchased all my parts yesterday, well at least I hope I did.  Here is the breakdown.

Mega upper and lower

Rainier Arms RA10 X11

DPMS SASS 18 inch barrel with low profile gas block and Smith Vortex flash hider.  Turns out DPMS is making a 20 dollar "new" version low profile gas block that fits this barrel.

Midlength gas tube

DPMS bolt and carrier, complete

DPMS parts kit, but I am gonna swap out my RRA NM trigger since I have a few laying around

Carbine length buffer with CTR stock and MOE grip, again laying around.

I have an extra set of Troy pop up sights until I find a nice "mid" priced scope for it.

I wanted a Youngs carrier but that will have to wait as when I talked the wife into building this rifle I assured her it would be under 1500 and so far I am about 1300 so I feel pretty good. 

Any ideas or opinions.  I know the DPMS barrel is not the lightest around but I read good reviews on it.  I wanted a Rainier Arms 18 incher but they are sold out so unless I can find a "used" one Im gonna try the DPMS and if I can't live with it I will sell it.

Thanks,

Eric

I will get photos as I put it together.  I was actually surprised when I called them to check to see if they had a gas block for it and the guy on the phone was like yes we actually have one that will fit that barrel and is replacing the 100 dollar unit that they used to sell.

Eric

Hi Road    great build...did one just like yours

heres what ya do....shoot the sass...when rainier gets the barrels in.. buy one.. take off the sass and sell it like I did...you wont lose twenty bucks on the swap  btw the sass is sub moa...I just couldnt handle the weight....but im a wooss <laughs>  Wash

Thanks, you  know I debated over just getting the 16 incher Rainier had in stock for a few hours actually.  I doubt I will be shooting 800 yards with it so that is why I went with the SASS.  Actually I am still debating on the 16 since its not too late to get it and just return the SASS and gas block.

Thanks,

Eric