• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

D'oh!

planeflyer21

Went to the range and blasted a few boxes of light loads through the 930SPX.  Didn't even think of taking a photo...dad gummit!

Tried out the "ghost load" too.  What seemed to be sure disaster on my Tri Star worked like a charm with the Mossy!  Nine rounds of blammity can be comforting.  Eight is nothing to sneeze at though.

Ran a few transition drills, from handgun to shotgun.  Feels good stretching out a bit!

Looks like a need a case of buck and a case of slugs.

Jon

Unforgiven, while working corrections, we had "old-school" less lethal shotgun ammo-birdshot.  Like the star rounds you posted the link to, we were trained to aim at the legs or do a skip-shot to the legs.

Up close and personal, birdshot is lethal.  That lethal distance isn't too far on humans, depending on choke...I'm sure we all know someone that got "peppered" while dove hunting.  Look at Dick Cheney's incident...and that was pretty darn close.

The heavier the individual pellets, the more it carries that energy downrange if you miss your intended target.  That .32 caliber buckshot pellet may cause you problems in court, criminal and civil.  As an instructor, one of my pet peeves is the whole "shotguns don't have to be aimed" myth.  If you can afford to support the neighbor's kid with buckshot-reduced mental capacity and health issues for the rest of your (or the kid's) natural life, don't worry about aiming a shotgun.

On the other end of the spectrum, slugs really let the shotgun's versatility shine through!  Around here, home invasions aren't uncommon and are often on the wrong house.  Invaders wear an assortment of items common to LE, body armor being one of them.  Trauma plates don't really have much to say about a 1 1/4 ounce (546.9 grains of love) moving at 1300 fps.  But, again, that energy can play against the person that owns a home made of drywall and stucco.

A friend of mine that was on a small PD in one of the mining and farming communities here in AZ, had an incident one night.  He attempted to remedy the situation with his shotgun at about 45 yards.  With the issued buckshot (don't know the size/velocity), his direct hits had little effect.  He carried high-velocity slugs after that, and practiced to 120 yards for accuracy.

I may have to get this 930SPX tapped for chokes.

Jon

Brother Jon use to be less than lethal was rock salt,does anyone use that anymore?You are right YOU HAVE TO AIM at everything,there is a lawyer attached to every round.My first grab is a pistol,with bad guys wearing armor yea...need a combo cocktail maybe 2 rubber 3 "00" rest slugs?It's a crazy world for sure.Shoot on bro.My kids home hope to have pics of toys and targets soon had a good day at the range today 28 deg. little to no wind.

Excellent unforgiven!

I've only heard old timers claim to have rock salt loads.  A guy I was in the Navy with had a rock salt story.  Said he was riding his dirtbike, tearing up a farmer's land and the farmer started shooting towards him with a rifle.  So he thinks to himself "I need to get close, so he can't hit my speedy bike with the rifle."  When he got in close, the farmer put down the rifle and blasted him with a couple of loads of rock salt from his shotgun.

Said he had to lay in the creek for a long time for the stinging to stop.  <laughs>

Personally, I believe a person is better off using what police in their area use, if you are going with less lethal.  If it comes up in court, when they try to make you look like a pain-inflicting sadist, your lawyer can point out that it is the same issue as the local PD.

Jon