• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Thermal Scope

I have a Hogster 35 thermal scope that I can use on my 308 and 556 ar’s.  The centerline of the scope is 3” above the center of the gun.   That makes it hard to shoot small critters like skunks at close range.  Last night I had it on my ar15 and shot a skunk at 25 yds.  I know about the fact that it shoots low at close range and try to compensate, but it is frustrating.  I zero at 50 yds and have had good luck on coyotes.  But the small critters are hard to kill with that really high scope mount.  Especially trying to judge exact yardage in the dark.  sumbitch got one of my chickens. I hit him and he left a good blood trail when he went under my brushhog.  He wasn’t there this morning when I went to move it.  Skunk 1, me 0.   Shot the gun today and it is still on zero at 50

2B7EE9B3-305C-40F7-B17A-DF2A73CC042F.thumb.png.d122ad0b1d80bd7e655a962ec5d72e01.pngF377FA66-AB8D-42EA-98D1-7178ED416779.thumb.png.ed9b0f4ee515ffee599025b197f3bce6.png

10 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

What 300bo load is giving you those velocity's?

Over 3200 @ the muzzle?

Your using a suppressor. If you're shooting subsonics you should be under 1100 fps.

It’s 223 Winchester super x 55 grain. Says 3240 on the box.   I don’t know what barrel length they figure that on, mine is a 18” so that ballistic chart is probably not totally accurate.  But should be in the ballpark. 270CC4E4-8E56-4402-9A5B-5E20CEC35D7A.thumb.jpeg.b7591b017360d7078f1aab18d38f9b01.jpeg

My bad thought you were shooting a 300BO.

Your velocity would probably be closer to 3050fps than 3200.

A 35yd zero is what a lot of folks use for 5.56. That puts the bullet striking+ or - 6" from point blank range to a little past 300yds.

Up close you just have to remember you offset of scope hight above bore. That just takes practice and shooting your gun at different distances till you get it figured out.

With a 50yd zero, and a 3" height over bore - you're gonna be right damn close to 3" low at 25 yards.  There's not much drop out of the barrel at short distances, so your height-over-bore is basically how far low you'll be.  Try it out.  :thumbup:

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

With a 50yd zero, and a 3" height over bore - you're gonna be right damn close to 3" low at 25 yards.  There's not much drop out of the barrel at short distances, so your height-over-bore is basically how far low you'll be.  Try it out.  :thumbup:

You are pretty close. When I took the gun out today to check zero I put a target at 25 and shot 2.75” low. Then back to 50 and was dead on.  I set this gun up for coyotes since Oklahoma recently changed the regulations to allow hunting coyotes at night with lights or thermal. I have had good luck with that shooting over bait.  We have a farm and my wife raises goats. The problem has only been on the much smaller skunks at very close range.  I just have to get use to holding over them more when up close.  We lost some chickens lately and I have been trying to get the culprits at night.  So far I missed one and crippled one. 

19472A2A-CBC7-42D1-85AD-F05DB05D1F30.thumb.jpeg.73fb87b7f177468545df0d0bcd010caf.jpeg

19 hours ago, GStephen said:

You are pretty close.

I knew I was.  It's external ballistics, and a little bit of math, and alot of trigger-pulling experience, with results of my own, over time.  I'm glad it worked out. 

Not trying to be cocky, or be a dick, but I've done this, trained this, played this, for a very long time.

Edited by 98Z5V

43 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I knew I was.  It's external ballistics, and a little bit of math, and alot of trigger-pulling experience, with results of my own, over time.  I'm glad it worked out. 

Not trying to be cocky, or be a dick, but I've done this, trained this, played this, for a very long time.

The 1/4”error was that I took 25 steps instead of measuring or using my range finder.   

13 minutes ago, GStephen said:

The 1/4”error was that I took 25 steps instead of measuring or using my range finder.   

No worries.  Doesn't matter, as close as it is, and what a load does.  Drop at close range is equal to the height-over-bore of your optic.  It's that simple.  It's proven.  Most ARs with optics are 2.500" height-over-bore.  Anything 25 yards and under is gonna land 2.5" low.  You just know your holds, and adjust your aim. 

When you're looking at a 7" vital zone on alot of animals - many animals - that 2.5" low doesn't really matter.  When you're looking at small critters, like you are - it can matter.  Your height-over-bore is 3".  Aim 3" lower, and crush them.  :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

When you're looking at a 7" vital zone on alot of animals - many animals - that 2.5" low doesn't really matter.  When you're looking at small critters, like you are - it can matter.  Your height-over-bore is 3".  Aim 3" lower, and crush them.  :thumbup:

Maybe instead of trying to use my coyote rig, I should get a tactical flashlight and put it on my rpr 17 hmr and use my thermal monocular for the skunks it has a sight height of approximately 1.75”

90D6B5C6-0F22-4D76-97CF-8A49EDBDAC7A.thumb.jpeg.4ebd6e32ae254781dd9533ecd14abe88.jpeg