• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Doctor, Medical Scientist, Former Marine Infantry Officer...Vietnam and afterwards

Wife won an AR-10 by registering for a chance at winning from an online gun manufacturer's site.

It is flat-topped Picatinny rail and has Magpul iron sites.  They're fine.

But as the AR-10 is a longer range weapon than the M-16 I carried in the "Nam" I put a nice scope on the top rail of the weapon.  As it blocked the existing irons, I also installed offset irons on the remaining stretches of the Pic-rail.  It all works very, very well.

I also put a sling on the weapon.  It too works well.

But I miss the carry handle of the M-16 or the M-60 machine gun carry handle.  Both were approximately centered on the weight balance point of those weapons.  They made those weapons quite easy to carry with one arm / hand while dittying from firing position to firing position without having to sling the weapon.

Slinging was difficult as we most often shouldered substantial packs too.  And, un-slinging a slung weapon over a pack is at least a tad bit too time consuming when "S" hits the fan.

The scope I mounted on the Pic-rail lays directly over the center balance point of the weapon.  So, my question to fellow shooters of AR-type weapons with Pic rails on which a scope is mounted is...

...are their other types of Pic-rail compatible carry handles which could be used on this weapon while placed on or near the center balance point of the rifle which would not in any way harm the scope tube?

Best,

David

Get more into the Doctor, Medical Scientist, Former Marine Infantry Officer in an Intro Post, and tell us about some shared info about yourself a little bit.  Share some history, for some shared thoughts and info.

Here's the Intro Section:

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/22-introductions/

Edited by 98Z5V

You'd be looking for something lie this, probably.  It's from a custom bolt-action gun builder.  I don't know of anything like this available for a gas gun.

I shot one of these last October, and it is impressive.

ArtStation - The Black King - D&L MR-30 PG Rifle

ArtStation - The Black King - D&L MR-30 PG Rifle 

Home-fabrication is gonna be key, for something on a gas gun.  Rip up that Intro Section.  I'm super curious about that Doctor and Medical Scientist part.  :hail:

Edited by 98Z5V