• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS ORACLE 16" BARREL

LUCKYB40

First.. I would like to say that this is my first AR since the military (85-91) and it really feels good to get one back in my hands. My first question (Of many to come) I will be using this 80% Deer Hunting - 20% Target Shooting. I'm sure I will get many opinions on this, but that is why I am asking. What is the max ethical distance for taking down a Whitetail? (150gr -168gr and Optics are 4-12 x 40 VX-R) Or does anybody have bullistics that they have recorded over the years for a 16" barrel? thanks in advance for any infromation given.

What is the max ethical distance for taking down a Whitetail? (150gr -168gr and Optics are 4-12 x 40 VX-R) Or does anybody have bullistics that they have recorded over the years for a 16" barrel? thanks in advance for any infromation given.

A 168 grain bullet from a 16" barrel should remain supersonic to about 600 yards. As far as "ethical", I assume you mean "what is the optimum distance I should expect for a 'one shot kill'?"

A decent shooter should hold a 6"-8" group at 300 yards with that scope/barrel combo. Extra range and accuracy depending on the muzzle device, trigger and of course the quality of the bullet. Really maxing out at 400 yards with above par equipment and skill.

You could make a 600 yard killer with a 16" barrel... but it won't be cheap.