• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Aero M5 first adventure.

NF1E

Picked up an Aero complete lower from LGS. Changed out buffer tube to rifle length buffer with spring and Aero rifle buffer and added the butt I am used to on other ARs. Added ELF trigger set at #3. Added an Aero M5 upper with 20" barrel. Waiting for BCG, extended charging handle and adjustable gas block.  For those that need to know, the gas port is .093 and the tube extends to the center of the cutout. Learning day by day with the M5. Added a MK 4 16x fixed. Was going to use on of my Night Force ATACRs but the bell is just to big on this handguard without raising rings so I ordered a different 15" Mlock handguard from Aero, less costly than NF rings, that does not have the rail full length. That should do the trick. Whatta Hobby!

M5 5.jpg

M5 6.jpg

Just perfect  where it is mounted. I have QR rings on that scope so it can easily be moved fore and aft on the rail or to other firearms with ease.

I have a pile of those offset mounts that came with a bunch of Leupold VX-R Patrol scopes that I use on M14s some years ago.

Edited by NF1E

1 hour ago, shooterrex said:

I would suggest getting it running w/o the can first .

Did exactly that today. Was ejecting fine but would not pick up the next rnd. Adjustable gas block is wide open so I may need to use a lighter buffer. Plenty of parts to work with until she fires on all cylinders. Was  using MEN surplus ammo. I may try my handloads tomorrow and see if I have better luck.

13 hours ago, shooterrex said:

Try shutting down the gas a little. You might be running to fast to pick up the next round.

Is the BCG well lubed? Like dripping wet?

That was it, over gassed. Closed the AGV 7 clicks and it runs like a champ. Ran 100 rnds of all sorts of different ammo without a hickup. " That was easy".  Now I just need to remember to open the valve just 8 clicks from closed after cleaning.

Finally, I think I have my optic configurations for these ARs down to what I like.
Top rifle is a RR .223 with a 20" barrel and a Timney 10oz trigger. Bottom is an Aero Precison .308 build with a 20" barrel and an ELF 3# trigger. Night Force scopes are top the BEAST 5-25 and lower ATACR 5-25. I may move the top scope few inches forward eventually, but I love the scope.  Whatta Hobby!

M5 13.jpg

M5 14.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The sun has given way to overcast and a stiff breeze. Still the M5 in .308 needs some exercise. She appears to like the same ammo as my M14s. 136 gn fb over 45 gn of 4064. 1o rnds at 100 yds.  Now that Varget is back I need to load some of that for more precision. Whatta Hobby!

M5.jpg

M5 1.jpg

M5 2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks again to the gurus on this forum.  I have been enjoying this rifle and found after adding the agb  and setting it open 8 out of 15 clicks, the rifle handles ammo from 110 gn handloads to 175 gn FGGM without a problem. I do shoot mostly the 136 gn fb.  Whatta Hobby!

M5.jpg