• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

titanium parts on your AR10

jeffery

35 minutes ago, BrianK said:

We heard about MC-1s, they were in development at the time but we never even knew what they were called. We just knew they had panels missing in the back through scuttlebut.

101.4 square feet, exactly.  Toggles closed down each side.  Made it turn a 360* on itself in 10 seconds.  Pretty good, for a round chute, not a square skydiver's chute that can turn in 3 seconds.

Spent alot of years jumping, all static line, 88 total, over 50 with combat equipment.  Hollywood jumps are a waste of time, IMHO.  Jump like you'll really jump, so I rucked up on jumps that were Hollywood.  Benefit, I was the man in the door, if I wasn't running the jump.

Spent 6 years working the SOF Static Line Jumpmaster course, and the last 4 years of those 6 -  just straight running it, as the NCOIC of the course.  Started out running just one course a summer, and after year 2 running it, I bounced that to back-to-back courses, 2 a year.  Blew the Group Command away - why not?!  All your resources are ALREADY THERE, AND TRAINED UP!!!  RUN THE NEXT ONE, NOW!  So, I did.

This is where it's at, right here...

Army Master Parachutist Badge - Army Full Size Badges - PriorService.com

• 1 month later...

Back to Ti,
I think of it as 2/3rds the strength of steel at about 2/3rds the weight.
Stronger than the same volume of aluminum but heavier, lighter than the same volume of steel but not quite as strong.
Sometimes useful for high temp applications say in and around jet engines and for separating people from money when used in camping, mounting biking, or other usually sporting goods equipment.

I had a friend who built an ultra light carbine using V7 bits. It was cool but the cost for the delta weight wasn't worth it in my book. Most Ti parts on an AR are replacing steel for the weight savings.