• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Not a 308

GStephen

What are some things that I can check to help tighten up groups?  
I have a psa 556 that is not very accurate.  It had a 16” barrel and I changed to a 18” BA barrel and it really didn’t help.  Both 1:7    What type ammo should be accurate in it?  62 grain green tips are about 3 moa. 55 superx soft points are over 1.5 moa. I put the thermal back on my 308 and it’s sub moa at 100.  Put a glass scope on the ar15 and still no difference. The gun cycles perfectly and it would be nice if I could use it for coyotes.  I have an ar22-250 and a 308 that are both very accurate, but they are heavy AF

F3182CCB-E03A-489C-B5F8-08B97D357670.thumb.jpeg.099a7727f42da2e1299261fdb9350e58.jpeg

1 hour ago, GStephen said:

I will try to find some ammo heavier, and try that 

thanks for your input 

Hornady loads it as the Hornady BLACK .223 75gr HPBT loaded ammo. 

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/223-remington-75-gr-bthp-match-black#!/

Hornady also runs it in the Match line, product number 8026.  Looks like this:

200 Round Case - 223 Rem Match 75 Grain BTHP Hollow Point Ammo by Hornady - 8026 | SGAmmo.com

Black Hills Ammunition loads a Sierra 77gr MatchKing as their Red Box .223 ammo - it's identical to military issued Mk262 ammo. 

Here's what you'd look for:

^^^223 Remington Ammo - Rounds of 77 Grain Hollow-Point (HP) by Black Hills Ammunition^^^  That's just civilian packaged Mk262.  They also actually sell Mk262 direct to civilians now, as well:

http://www.black-hills.com/product-category/mk-262-mod-1-c-mil-pack/\

I doubt you'll ever find it in a store, on a shelf, but you can order it.  Comes in 460-round ammo cans. 

Black Hills MK 262 MOD 1-C, MIL PACK | V1 Tactical

The ammo I listed above will shoot well through that gun you have.  You might be able to make a better handload, but you won't find anything from a manufacturer that will work as well as anything I listed above. 

The only thing different about the Black Hills Red Box and the Mk262 packaged ammo - is the testing (and lot number records) of the Mk262 ammo.  It's got a very high accuracy standard for testing, whereas the just load it up and package it, for the Red Box.

I've used this stuff, too, and it works well:

Atomic Ammunition Atomic Ammo .223 Rem. 77gr. Match Sierra Bthp 50-pack

Edited by 98Z5V

19 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Hornady loads it as the Hornady BLACK .223 75gr HPBT loaded ammo. 

I had already made an order from sgammo before you posted that, and I got 3 boxes of black coming with a couple others.   
I am looking forward to trying these.  

The gun doesn’t have a great trigger, but I have the same one in my aero m5 lower and can shoot sub moa easily with it in my large frame guns   4.5lb Ruger trigger.

IMG_8270.thumb.jpeg.f039c39440fcbef5be5d528c6a7b1a4b.jpeg

9 hours ago, shooterrex said:

How snug did the new barrel fit the receiver? Any play? If so you can use locktite 609 to bed it in.

The LGS installed it for me, so I don’t know.  At same time he put in the plastic wedge to stop any slop between upper and lower.  It didn’t wiggle much there before that. 
I will try the different ammo before I do anything else 

Edited by GStephen

all three new ammo were similar

The Hornady black with the 7.62 suppressor best group 

IMG_8290.thumb.jpeg.76888a79f291dbe9db9acd77e5cf7fd3.jpeg

The same ammo without suppressor. It knocked off the red sticky dot 

IMG_8289.thumb.jpeg.89614e54bba651a713a531a37a927dd1.jpeg

my 308 loves the suppressor but the ar15 not so much.  I didn’t have any 55 grain ammo with me to try without suppressor.   I guess I won’t be using the suppressor on the ar15

10 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

Glad it likes the new ammo better.

Cans don't usually make groups worse.

My 22-250 did similar with the can. Although not nearly as bad as the 223

It’s a rugged razor 7.62 and on my 308 is not a problem at all.  It’s sub moa even at 200 yds.

I probably won’t bother trying to get a suppressor for the 22-250 or the ar15.  

When I first shot it today with the new ammo, I was thinking WTF!  I thought barrel was loose or something.   Then I took off the can and it came together.