• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bersa

Traveler

There are quite a few out there, Bersa is not the most iconic or popular brand out there, but a solid build and good warranty if needed. Function has been flawless on the models I have owned. Form has been very appealing to me.

I got my first one in the early 2000's, a few years after the first gen Thunder came available. I liked it, it was boring. It shot everything, it's neither tiny nor big, I suppose at the time it might have been on the smaller side of carry pistols, it was well made and stupidly, I decided it was not exciting enough and I sold it and proceeded to work my way through all sorts of carry possible pistols. Towards 2010 or so, I came across one that just grabbed my attention that day, the price was better than right and I took it home, then to the range, I realized how fun and forgiving and easy the Thunder is to shoot! Takedown and cleaning is a snap! I found that Vega made a holster for the Thunder, got one and started carrying the Thunder 380 daily. Guess I had to go through all the others to get back to what worked best for me.

So, when my wife finally took her CCW course, and at the end was presented with about 15 different models to fondle/shoot - she didn't like any of them. And, more importantly, had issues with operational controls. So she asked to shoot mine - that's the last time I carried that Bersa Thunder. She appropriated it. She does not carry out of the house, but that pistol goes with her downstairs in the morning and back up at night. 

All that left me without my absolute favorite carry pistol. I have a compact 1911, a CZ 75, a few others, all trustworthy, but none as comfortable. So, I looked and looked (phucking Covid years!) and finally found a plus model (double stack) that I really wanted to try anyway. Holster I got for the first one fit, good thing as they aren't to be found anymore. So far this one also shoots all the training ammo types and brands I would shoot in any firearm, it really does not add enough in weight and grip width to make a difference except.... 15 ROUND MAGS!!!!! 

Yup, it's a 380. Nobody wants a 9mm hole or two in their body, no matter what the power behind it is. And well made 380 ACP at 7 - 10 yards will make anyone but a crackhead rethink their strategy. I'm a happy man comfortable and trusting in my chosen carry firearm.

Bersa Thunder 380 Plus

20220529_092616.jpg

20220529_092706.jpg

My dad carried the single stack version for several years.  It is now a "family" gun that we keep in the safe.  We brought it out and shot it last weekend.  

My wife also had the Thunder 380+ and carried it for a while.  It was a good gun and shot well.  She changed to a Beretta 94 Cheetah...then a Kimber Ultra Carry 2.  She gave the Bersa to her sister when she got a divorce.  

I've never been a huge fan of the Beretta tip up barrels, extractor less handguns or the .32 ACP.
Since I've got a 1903 Colt and a 1907 Savage, I've considered the Beretta but so far haven't put the money down.

I've got a Sig P238 .380 Auto and it's pretty awesome. No hiccups. I bought about a K or 2 of ammo when I got the gun.
I picked up a box of Monarch at one of the sports shops when I was out of state. Not impressed with that box.
One of my buds got one for his wife when he found she wasn't able to manipulate her long time P232 any longer.
About a year later he got one for himself as a lighter alternative to his Commander. That was right before the lockdowns in Northern CA and the shop he got it from could have sold a dozen more right then but couldn't get them.

My sister bought one of them right about the first of the pandemic. I told her to buy a case of ammo when she put it on order. AT THE VERY LEAST I told her to get a MINIMUM of 200 rounds. She put it off until she got the gun and was lucky to get a box of ball.

I also have a Ruger LC380CA. It's ok but I'm not sure it will ever be a favorite. I've got the LC9conversion kit for it. A bit more power in the pocket sized gun.