• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.243 Build

MarkB

You guys have been extremely helpful on info for my first build.....now for the "basic" question:  since .243 is a necked-down .308, will my AR build be exactly the same as a .308 with the exception of barrel?

I have had a couple of people say yes, but a barrel mfg told me a lot of things are not directly compatible.

Help!!

Thanks,

Mark

When experimenting with new calibers it's safe to stick to main stream build rules. An example is, a few of us have experimental builds using short barrels with rifle length gas systems. I don't know if I'd trust the off-shoot calibers to do the same. Thus I'd stick to traditional barrel length to gas system ratios. I've also heard that gas block holes sometimes need to be opened up on the other calibers.

Only one place I know of that makes a NiB BCG and that is SI Defense. Unless you're ready to drop $600 on the SI-D, I suggest a Young Mfg carrier with a JP enhanced bolt. They are top quality parts.

If you buy a custom barrel, you can sometimes buy a bolt from the same builder. I know Lothar Walther will do this.  It will greatly increase your rifles performance and accuracy.

Do you have recommendation for bolt/BCG?

Want to get ni b if possible.

You can pick up the BCG you desire, then send it off to WMD Guns for some NiB coating.  <thumbsup>

Not sure what the cost would be for a .308 BCG, but I'm sure they'd quote it of you called them up.

(231) 421-GUNS (4867)

http://www.wmdguns.com/

• 2 years later...