• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Looking for Left-Handed Training

crom.a.boo

I am right-handed, but left-eye dominant. So I ‘typically’ shoot handguns alternating between my left and right hands, although the right is my preferred shooting hand; but with any long guns, I shoot leftie, brass flying in my face (soon to be rectified with a custom rifle edge is designing). 

I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for quality training instructors, courses and/or reading material geared towards left-handed shooting, or at the very least knowledgeable about the subject if not geared towards it. Or perhaps even advice from personal experience. For training, anything specific to the New England area would be ideal, although with some planning I could do NC, AZ, GA, or CO as well.

Thus far my training has been extremely basic: I’ve taken an entry-level firearms course from Smith & Wesson, had very informal training through friends and family, including shooting with my father since I was young, great tidbits and nuggets here and there from an extremely protective older brother who is also an Army Ranger, and the occasional practice clearing the house with edge for fun on the weekend. I have read and re-read the following: Officer’s Guide to Police Pistolcraft; and The Myths & Truths About Off Hand Shooting & the Left Handed Combatant, by Paul Castle and George Whitfield, of Sabre Tactical Training. Unfortunately it is too late for me to enlist, and I very regretfully passed up an offer to go full-time Army JAG after law school.

In any event I’m looking for some practical, left-hand geared training opportunities and materials and, although I am a woman, I am not necessarily looking for anything gender-specific. Or pink – I definitely do not want anything pink, thank you very much.  :) Oh and I did just sign up for the T.A.G. newsletter.

Much appreciated,

Heather

First, congrats for identifing a weakness in your "game" and wanting to do something about it.

IMO, the trainer you should check out is Larry Vickers. In addition to being a world-class instructor, Larry is also left handed and could probably give better insight on weak-hand and cross-dominant shooting than anybody else I know of.

Prior to forming his own training company, Larry was a member of SFOD-Delta. I've attended a couple of his carbine classes and have never failed to learn something new.

Here's a link to his website listing his 2012 class schedule:

http://vickerstactical.com/training-by-larry-vickers/2012-training-class-schedule/

Mind, Larry's not cheap nor is he easy. He's probably the least "politically correct" person I've ever met. There's not a lot of down time during his classes, so be prepared to sweat a little (and learn a lot).

I've trained plenty of people to use their dominant eye with their "weak" hand.  The new "tactical" terminology is "support hand" but we'll stick with weak hand here, since it is already in use.

The students I've had who have done a successful transition from strong hand to weak hand with their dominant eye, all do a few things that were suggested. 

First, practice with your weak hand (this is something EVERYONE should be doing anyway).  Familiarity will come with more use.  While things are better in the gun world for lefty-ism, it is still a right-handed world.  Traditional magazine or slide releases and safties can be a challenge, double-action revolvers are downright awkward (unless you get a Charter Arms left-handed model, but then drills with your right hand will be equally awkward).  Practice at home when you can, using an ULOADED GUN, get a proper grip (both single- and two-handed), use different shooting positions.  Remember, your shooting stance is going to be a mirror of your right-handed stance and will feel awkward at first.

Think outside the box.  For example, lots of lefty 1911 shooters gave us the use of the trigger finger, pulled back behind the trigger to push the magazine release on the left side of the frame.  I use this with my XDs right or left handed.

When you first start, you will find that your fingers, hand, wrist, and arm will tire easily and fairly quickly.  If you can run a whole box of ammo through your gun without getting tired then you are in really good shape.  Simple exercises can help you build endurance and muscle.  Climbers clay, grip balls, wrist curls, and hammer curls help the muscles in question.

Any decent and reputable instructor can help you, if you have some in your area.  If not, then you can treat me to lunch when you make it out to Arizona, after we do some shooting.  <thumbsup>

Jon

Thanks guys!! Lots of great info. to get me started. :hail:

Mind, Larry's not cheap nor is he easy. He's probably the least "politically correct" person I've ever met. There's not a lot of down time during his classes, so be prepared to sweat a little (and learn a lot).

He sounds perfect, and I will absolutely look into getting into a class. I appreciate it when people say what they really feel, to hell with political correctness, so no issues there. And I'm definitely not afraid of hard work or sweat - I've always preferred a challenge over an easy road (case in point: I played on the men's soccer team in college because there was better competition, while also playing and semi-coaching the women's team; and a Col. I worked with in DC one summer used to take me to a Marine gym to play pick-up basketball with a bunch of huge guys a couple of times a week - I wasn't nearly as good as them, but I kept up just fine and had an awesome time doing it)

And Jon, wow, tons of great advice. Thank you. We'll have to get together with 98Z5V to do some shooting when edge and I come out next - its always steaks and beer for dinner, our treat, and I look forward to getting some in-person insights!  <thumbsup>

when edge and I come out next - its always steaks and beer for dinner, our treat, and I look forward to getting some in-person insights!  <thumbsup>

THAT is the funniest part of the whole meet, and makes it some great times.  ;D

Next time you guys get out here, try to plan in some time to hit a class at Gunsite (Paulden, AZ).  This lady will wear you out - Il Ling New.

sp_ling_ph1.jpg

Il Ling New grew up hunting and fishing, and started guiding for her father's outfitting service as a teenager. She received her first guide's license at 17. Later, she became the first female captain of her university's shooting team.   Il Ling is a professional guide in the US, as well a National Sporting Clays Association Instructor. Outside the US, Il Ling has hunted in the UK, Asia, Australia, and Africa. At Gunsite, she teaches defensive handgun, rifle and shotgun courses, as well as hunting rifle and wingshooting.