• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

pof quality

lew.45

I am not trying to double post but I am looking for some info about POF USA.  I have the opportunity to trafe my DPMS Oracle and a Bushmaster.223 for a POF 14.5" .308.  I would like some more info about POF qquality before my final decision.  I posted a question in the manufacterers forum and only got limited response.  Is POF top of the line?  I need some insight from those more experienced that me.  Please respond quickly I need to make a decision in a couple of days.  Thanks.

I think you will find that most here would consider a POF to be a top shelf  AR. I have shot them and have handled the stripped receivers, and could not find any quality issues with them. That being said, if you were to ask someone which is better, Ford or Chevy, your going to get a different answer depending on where their brand loyalty lies. I personally think that they make an excellent product, and have found their customer service to be the among the very best, they really stand behind their product. In trying to make a decision on this trade, you might want to take a couple things into consideration. The POF is a piston operated gun, is that you r preference, Do you care? As such it will likely be a little heavier than a DI gun speced out similarly. The POF uses their own proprietary BCG/piston setup/rail/upper. If You're interested in becoming involved more deeply in the platform to the extant that you might want to be changing those parts, the POF might not be as desirable to you as some other mfgs offerings. If your wish is to buy a high quality gun, have to do very little to keep it running and just shoot it, You will probably not be disappointed. As far as whether it's worth trading the other two guns for this one, only you can decide that. You can always look online to see what your two guns are worth on the used market, vs what the POF is worth. Have you asked the seller if you could  try out the gun? If possible, that might help you to make your decision.

I've owned a POF 5.56 rig for about 5 years now. I've had no issues with it at all in that time. It's got about 5000+ rounds through it. My experience with POF has been very positive. Frank and Chris have always been helpful and responsive. POF uses Mike Rock barrels, which are some of the best in the biz.

As for POF being top of the line, I can't say. But they use top notch components in their guns and stand behind what they sell. If I were in the market for another piston carbine, they'd be on my short list of manufacturers.

POF has high quality stuff ! I have looked at a lot of their guns, never shot one but watched the boss's daughter do mag dumps right next to me. We cleared out half of the range. I cant really justify spending $2300 to $2700 on a piston operated 308 no matter how smoothly it works. {MHO} 

I would shoot one before I droped the money down one .

A very nice DI gas AR308 + a $1000 scope = POF piston 308.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it but keep your options open.

I'm still thinking about getting one of their lowers.

BTW - Purchase it through a Vender or a middle men.

Mike H

• 4 weeks later...

I liked my first POF P308 so much that I purchased another one. In my opinion, it's the best semi-auto piston rifle on the market. When I get ready to pull the trigger on an AR-15, it will be the POF P415.

POF has high quality stuff ! I have looked at a lot of their guns, never shot one but watched the boss's daughter do mag dumps right next to me. We cleared out half of the range. I cant really justify spending $2300 to $2700 on a piston operated 308 no matter how smoothly it works. {MHO} 

I would shoot one before I droped the money down one .

A very nice DI gas AR308 + a $1000 scope = POF piston 308.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it but keep your options open.

I'm still thinking about getting one of their lowers.

BTW - Purchase it through a Vender or a middle men.

Mike H

I guess that depends on what your definition of a "very nice" gas impingement AR-10 would be. If you're wanting a top shelf AR-10, you can expect to pay $2300+.

Killshot slow down, I'm not starting any thing here. Just saying that I could get a good quality DI 308 style gun for $1700-$1800 . A piston version might cost $2300 + . LWRC ,LaRue & POF would be on my wall if I could afford them but I choose to spend my hobby money in other ways. I can build a smooth running AR at less than the price of a big name manufacturer.

I live in one of the hot beds in the AR manufacturing arenas equal to IL & MN. Three of my freinds have 4 HAAS cnc machines and 1 EDI units. I know people on both sides of the POF-Hogan camp. Sun Devil Manufacting is just around the corner and they have quality parts as well. My next two lowers will be a POF  & Sun Devil 308s. I might be getting a "good old boys" deal on some of their products but I'm not complaining.

As far as the gun shops in Phoenix I have been to most of them and if you look and wait you can get a deal. I dont know about the area where you live but here you can find pretty much anything. Money talks BS walks !