• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Wilson Combat 18" Tactical Hunter Gas Port Size

Dewey Mack

Hello experts,

After trying multiple, different 308 Faxon barrels with poor accuracy, I finally switched to a WC barrel and getting much better results. I do have the longer, correct-length gas tube but it is short-stroking with my Superlative Arms Adjustable gas block at full-open (with multiple different types of ammo), no last round hold-open, but ejecting at 4 o'clock. I removed the gas block and measured a 0.087" gas port. Gas block was properly aligned.

Wilson Combat .308 18" Tactical Hunter (fluted SS) BARREL, .308 WINCHESTER, TACTICAL HUNTER, 18", FLUTED, STAINLESS, GLASS BEAD, 1-11.25 (wilsoncombat.com)

.750" gas block shoulder

.087" gas port

Rifle+ length tube, ends middle of keyhole

Kaw Valley Precision 5.6oz buffer and heavy spring kit, carbine tube w/PRS Lite stock

SA Adjustable gas block

Toolcraft 6.5CM "high power" dual-ejector DLC BCG

Should I drill to 0.090" or 0.093", or just jump to 0.096" and adjust with the gas block?

Thanks in advance!

On a side note, I was initially using the Toolcraft standard DLC 308 BCG, but it was cratering or puncturing every single primer. Toolcraft swapped it for free to the "high power" 6.5CM DLC BCGs which have a smaller diameter firing pin, and it immediately fixed the cratering.

4 hours ago, Dewey Mack said:

I do have the longer, correct-length gas tube but it is short-stroking with my Superlative Arms Adjustable gas block at full-open (with multiple different types of ammo), no last round hold-open, but ejecting at 4 o'clock. I removed the gas block and measured a 0.087" gas port. Gas block was properly aligned.

18" rifle gas barrels with 0.750" gasblock journals - both heavy 5.56 (75gr or 77gr) AND .308 Win barrels...  They need a gas port diameter of 0.095".  Just go 0.096" on the drill bit,and don't worry about it, due to the adjustable gas block you have.  It's work, never fail, and run any ammo you toss through it.

You have a solid Recoil System,from what it sounds like.  I'd like to hear more about the internal depth of the receiver extension, and the details on that spring, but the buffer weight is right - what's the length of that 5.6oz buffer?.  This part right here:

4 hours ago, Dewey Mack said:

Kaw Valley Precision 5.6oz buffer and heavy spring kit, carbine tube w/PRS Lite stock

Edited by 98Z5V

Note for future questions - ALL 5.56 barrels that run the Heavies, and ALL .308 Win barrels - for gas guns...

Provided the exact same barrel configuration...   say they're both 18" barrels with rifle gas, 0.750" gas block journal sizes...  they need the exact same gas port diameter, in order to function correctly.  Exact same gas port diameter.  I'm sure this will come up again, in this thread, and outside of this thread.  Since it came up here, I'm just documenting it here, for future use.  :thumbup:

Different calibers = different games...   Not the same, anymore...

Thank you for the response! I'll drill it out later this week and report back.

KVP is a 2.5" long buffer. SS buffer with tungsten weights.

https://kawvalleyprecision.com/product/kvp-ar-10-308-car-ss-tungsten-buffer-5-6-oz/

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw-Valley-Precision-AR-10-308-Tungsten-Carbine-Bu-p/kvp-ar10-5.6.htm

Standard M4 carbine tube. I buy the buffer from joeboboutfitters as you can get the entire Carbine kit or just order the buffer and add the heavy XP spring for $5.

The spring is advertised as an extra power PCC spring, but the photos label it also as AR-10 spring. I'm 99% positive this is the spring that's in the KVP AR-10 kits, and it's sold separately on joebob advertised as the 308/PCC spring.  It is definitely stronger/stiffer than the Armaspec stealth recoil system that I tried earlier.

https://kawvalleyprecision.com/product/kvp-17-4-ss-pistol-caliber-carbine-xp-spring/

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw-Valley-Precision-AR-10-6pos-Mil-Spec-Carbine-S-p/kvp-ar10-milspeckit-5.6.htm

The carbine extension is good, and the buffer is good.  I have zero experience with that spring.  If you have recoil system problems, it's gonna be from the spring.  If that crops up, replace the spring with a Sprinco Orange spring.  At that point, any cyclic issues that pop up are NOT going to be from a recoil-system problem. 

Punch that gas port to 0.095", or as close as you can get it, and run the gun again. That's the #1 thing, listed.  Let's see what happens...   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

I have drilled the gas port to 0.096", but I had to retrieve my FatWrench from my Bro-in-law to torque the gas block. I also purchased a borescope on amazon to confirm the port was lined-up correctly with 0.025" off the shoulder per Superlative instructions. The SA port is 0.120" and measuring the distance of the barrel gas port from the shoulder, I needed to space the gas port for good alignment. If I push the gas block all the way to the shoulder, the gas port would be partially covered. I have always installed it with 0.025" gap but just wanted reassurance. The borescope confirmed my math.

Poor weather here in Phoenix (imagine that), so I'll go to the range later this coming week after the holidays to confirm functionality.  I'll test both the KVP heavy spring/buffer and Armaspec AR-10 Gen3 Stealth Recoil system again.

Range Report:

Yup. It works. With the KVP setup, I even started bleeding out the gas a few clicks, but I had a couple hold-open failures on the cheaper ammo, but no issue with hunting ammo. So I think I'm going to run it open for now and have full adjustment if I start seeing forward ejections or suppress it. KVP works for me!

I had very random issues with the Armaspec Stealth spring system. It was just....inconsistent and unreliable even when gas block fully open. It sometimes worked, sometimes didn't, and I tried multiple bleed settings. It needed a couple quarters behind it as well to take up the slop. I'll see if Armaspec will exchange them for AR15 versions I can try in my other rifles. For my personal results, I don't recommend their system in the LR308.

Using the Norma Tactical 147 FMJ ammo with my PA SLx 4-14x ACSS HUD/DMR FFP scope, the holdovers were dead-on out to 700yds! I started at 200yds and worked up, never missing a hit. I even had my son shoot at 700yds and hit 3 in a row. He was shocked. I'll have to sight it in for my hunting ammo, which will probably have more drop, but this ammo matched perfectly with the scope! Best of all, it's a free public range.

Thanks again 98Z5V! I very much appreciate it!

LR308.jpg

BLM Range.jpg

opplanet-primary-arms-4-14x44mm-acss-riflescope-acss-hud-dmr-308-223-reticle.jpg

10 hours ago, Dewey Mack said:

Thanks again 98Z5V! I very much appreciate it!

Man, no worries - I LOVE a success story, and gas guns that run like they're supposed to.  Where are you at, shooting that?  The new BLM Range out by Lake Pleasant, AZ?...  

On 12/29/2023 at 10:33 AM, Dewey Mack said:

I had very random issues with the Armaspec Stealth spring system. It was just....inconsistent and unreliable even when gas block fully open. It sometimes worked, sometimes didn't, and I tried multiple bleed settings. It needed a couple quarters behind it as well to take up the slop. I'll see if Armaspec will exchange them for AR15 versions I can try in my other rifles. For my personal results, I don't recommend their system in the LR308.

^^^  This right here.  This is why, on Large Frames -  Don't Complicate Shiit, with Complicated Shiit...

Stick to the basics, stick to the original design, make the gun work.  If it's a Race Gun, and you're winning trophies and money - complicate it as much as you want, to get that "power factor" and no recoil  impulse, with your custom-loaded ammo, that's meant only for competitions...

Otherwise, just Don't Complicate Shiit with Complicated Shiit.  It'll always let you down, in the long run.   

Yes, by Lake Pleasent.

Function tests at the new Church Camp Road range, then drove across the road SE to Saddleback Mtn Range for the long range plates. No benches, just shooting "plots".

The Church Camp road has 100yd & 200yd plates with nice concrete bench rests w/adjustable stools, and also a pistol plate range. The benches were just added a couple months ago. I really enjoy going there.

And if I need to print paper, I just drive down the road to Ben Avery. Win-Win.

1 hour ago, Dewey Mack said:

Yes, by Lake Pleasent.

Function tests at the new Church Camp Road range, then drove across the road SE to Saddleback Mtn Range for the long range plates. No benches, just shooting "plots".

The Church Camp road has 100yd & 200yd plates with nice concrete bench rests w/adjustable stools, and also a pistol plate range. The benches were just added a couple months ago. I really enjoy going there.

And if I need to print paper, I just drive down the road to Ben Avery. Win-Win.

I'm just south of you by an hour-drive.  You need to come down and shoot with me sometime, man.  What I have available down here will blow you away...   :thumbup: