• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Determining DPMS LR-308 Factory Build vs Built From Aftermarket Parts

How do you know when buying a DPMS LR-308 that you are buying a rifle that was produced completely by DPMS or whether it was assembled from by an end user.

The answer is easy. DPMS adds a "K" to the serial number of lower received that are sold as parts.

This can be important when seeking warranty repairs.

• 6 months later...

How do you know when buying a DPMS LR-308 that you are buying a rifle that was produced completely by DPMS or whether it was assembled from by an end user.

The answer is easy. DPMS adds a "K" to the serial number of lower received that are sold as parts.

This can be important when seeking warranty repairs.

My understanding from DPMS is that the serial number of the lower receive ends in the letter K when it is not a fullty assembled weapon.

HTH

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

No, that's alright, I don't really need to know more than that. It's possible that someone swapped out an aftermakerket lower into their AR and simply sold or swapped that lower to the vendor. Then again, it may simply be that a few receivers intended for builds had to be subbed for a kit receiver shortage at DPMS. I can imagine quite a few scenarios that explain your anomaly.

• 9 years later...

I’ve never heard of a gun I bought brand new in the box being assembled by another company or individual. My serial has a K but it was brand new in the box. I purchased it from a reputable gun dealer too. Someone please explain why this is done for me. Please.