• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR Buffer Spring Database

OK - I've been digging on the interwebs and have come up dry.   I may decide to make a project out of this - if it doesn't yet exist.    Is anyone aware of a forum / website / etc. that contains actual data about buffer springs?  I'm thinking things like:

• Length
  • Number of coils
  • Wire diameter
  • Wire type
  • Spring rate in lb/in
  • Coil bind height

Maybe I'm just a math / details nerd - but it would seem much easier to adjust if there were more specific data available.   E.G. If my Sprinco red spring has a spring rate of 2.7 lbs / inch - and I'm looking for a nominally softer spring - knowing which, of the same length / bind height had a spring rate of 2.5 lb/in would be a handy bit of information.  

Am I nuts? 

Edited by BigNate

• BigNate changed the title to AR Buffer Spring Database
On 4/3/2024 at 6:03 PM, BigNate said:

Thanks much... good info there...  I think I'm probably going to build a tester and start building my own dataset... we'll see... 🙂

You're welcome. Share what you come up with, it'll be interesting for aure.

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

We already have info here, on alot of that, through the years.  The best source of n0-bullshiit information in Sprinco.  They list it all.

https://sprinco.com/

This page of theirs is worth it's weight in Gold Bullion... 

https://sprinco.com/ar-buffer.html

If you want to REALLY know wire diameter, coil count, relaxed length of the spring, and all that, there is no better resource that Clint @ HeavyBuffers.com.

He lists ALL the details of what you need in a spring, to make a functional gun - that's gassed right.  If it ain't gassed right, and you think his spring info and buffer info didn't help you - he'll fix your recoil system.  If what he says doesn't fix it - then you have a gas system problem.  Period.

https://heavybuffers.com/reference.html

image.thumb.jpeg.41a24040e3fed639b4174c408853752e.jpeg

^^^Keep clicking until it gets WAY bigger...  

Between the two of those vendors/resources - that's all the information that you'll ever need, if you're looking to solve recoil system problems.

If you have gas system problems, that's another story. 

Get the correct recoil system in your gun, and I'll solve the gas system problems.  It's a short list, after the recoil system is straight.  Minus weird shiit, it comes down to gas tube length and gas port diameter, per caliber, barrel length, and dwell time.

Edited by 98Z5V

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Between the two of those vendors/resources - that's all the information that you'll ever need, if you're looking to solve recoil system problems.

If you have gas system problems, that's another story. 

Get the correct recoil system in your gun, and I'll solve the gas system problems.  It's a short list, after the recoil system is straight.  Minus weird shiit, it comes down to gas tube length and gas port diameter, per caliber, barrel length, and dwell time.

I had been digging around on the Sprinco site and had read the details on their springs - but I'm missing details...  I see "White" is standard, "Yellow" is "approximately 20% lighter than the White spring..." Blue is "15% greater than white... " etc. 

I'm a math nerd - and I was trying to do some math based analysis of how much energy I was absorbing so that I could do some regression modeling and try to better predict what I need in a given situation.   This is mostly an academic exercise for me... I'm working as it sits - but would love to be able to compare spring rates etc across product lines.  Am I missing "number" on their site somehow? 

The heavybuffers site looks awesome!  Thanks.

Edited by BigNate

8 hours ago, BigNate said:

Am I missing "number" on their site somehow?

No, they don't list the relaxed length, wire diameters, coil counts - just the good descriptions of the intentions of the springs for use.  The numbers are in the HeavyBuffers info.