• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Forearm assembly questions - JP Enterprises Modular Hand Guard System

IowaFClass

I have a JP Enterprises Modular Hand Guard System and now at the final assembly portion, here is my question. The Hand Guard mount for the main tube screws onto the receiver first, but in the position where it is tight is at the 12:30 position, just past the alignment for the gas tube. Is it ok to just back the tube mount off so it lines up and install the barrel and tighten up the barrel lock ring? It does tighten up the barrel but does this bring in any safety issues? I have read other comments from forums where the mount ring was way out of alignment, much more than mine.

It does tighten up the barrel but does this bring in any safety issues? I have read other comments from forums where the mount ring was way out of alignment, much more than mine.

Trying to understand what you mean, are you saying that when you back the outer receiver nut off to the alignment position, you can't get the inner barrel retainer nut tight enough? Or is that what you're trying to determine? I installed one of these on a build some time ago, and I had to back the receiver nut off a little bit to get correct alignment, but it didn't keep me from getting the correct torque spec on the barrel nut.  (You can read the thread here: http://308ar.com/forum/dpms-lr-308-general-technical-discussion/installing-the-jp-vtac-fft-aka-'how-bibliophobia-can-make-your-life-exciting!'/msg2218/#msg2218)

All I did was use a small rod to maintain alignment of the gas tube holes while I torqued the barrel nut.

Well here is the FIRST AR project. It's a 15 to start but have already started the purchase for #2, a 308. Mega Arms billet receiver set from the group buy here on 308AR.

Spike billet lower receiver

Vltor billet upper receiver

Novseke 16" 1:7 twist SS barrel

JP Enterprises muzzle brake

JP Enterprises trigger

EXO Failzero bolt/carrier group with hammer

Vltor charging handle

Vtlor butt stock

Mako grip

Still to come - ACOG and RMR (on order)

post-1992-136297277252_thumb.gif

Good to hear aprovals, thanks. I looked at just purchasing a rifle but I seem to have this thing about custom builds. Most of the firearms I have are custom something, even the 2 wilson combat 1911s I have are custom tuned. MAN are thye fun to shoot. But like I stated the next build will be an AR308, and of course this site will steer me toward the parts that are used for that. I want to see if I can get an AR to shoot as my 308 sniper style F/TR competion rifle.

Again, thanks to all the members here and their advise because it REALLY helps <thumbsup>

I was checking out the F/TR class doesn't anyone run a .308 AR? Just see bolts outstanding rifles in there own right.Do any AR platforms run 6MM ?Interesting to see bipods with little skis on bottom for a straight back push on recoil makes sense.Also noticed was said you needed to handload .308 to stay supersonic for a 1k hit on target <munch> is there any factory .308 ammo that comes close to that performance level?

For 308, some use Federal Gold match (those that do not load their own, which is few) with 175 or 168 SMK bullets. From what I hear it is very good ammo and something I might try in the 308AR. I have not checked the OAL to see if it will fit the mags, probably will, just haven't checked. For my 308 I load my own: Lapua brass, CCI primers, Berger 155.5 gr Full Bore target, at 2950 FPS it should still be SS at a 1000 yds but never tried it out that far. The only 1000 yds range around here shut down because the land owner died and the kids started fighting.

Now about 6mm ARs, yes there are AR style rifles with 6 mm loads. There's a web site on that subject as well. Thought about a project in that direction but I already have a 6mmBR bolt action started. (I have BAT action and Krieger barrel)