• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.308 long range barrels

Jgun

matt....i don't feel so lonely now :)

I'm waiting to see if my barrel shows up this week.  had woody's "guarantee" that it would be shipped last friday.

on the positive side, paperwork for my suppressor transfer is supposed to come within the next couple of weeks.  i can then start my paperwork to ATF.

mark

matt....i don't feel so lonely now :)

I'm waiting to see if my barrel shows up this week.  had woody's "guarantee" that it would be shipped last friday.

on the positive side, paperwork for my suppressor transfer is supposed to come within the next couple of weeks.  i can then start my paperwork to ATF.

mark

Good deal brother, I just got my suppressor in on the 7th, ordered in back in February. I'm excited about shooting it, can't wait.

As for the LW barrel, I haven't heard anything in a month or so, so I have no idea what it's status is...  It's hard to invest 2 years and $450 worth of waiting into a barrel, and then not get it.... At the same time, I could get an equal or probably superior barrel in far less time for the same money, so something's gonna give, or else.

• 2 weeks later...

My custom AR-15 Lothar-Walther barrel took about a year to ship after ordering, this was about 18 months ago.  It doesn't surprise me the lead times have increased, the barrel was worth the wait as I sold it for 100.00 more then I paid for it.  I had built something else in the meantime.

I have heard bad things about Meloniting Stainless barrels, do some research of your own before deciding.  I do have a custom Lothar-Walther 17" intermediate length gas polygon rifled AR-15 barrel in chromoly which was profiled and Melonited by a great company which is no longer around:-(  It is a very fast and very accurate barrel, may it last a very long time.

Carbon9,

Could you expand on what you have heard regarding the melonite process being performed on stainless barrels? My gun is together (barrel installed) but is waiting for the bolt carrier (just purchased) and a trigger (have not decided what I want for that, probably something accuracy focused, maybe a two stage). I'd like to try the process on a barrel, but my history is that I rarely take a gun apart once assembled, unless a part needs to be replaced, so we shall see if I try out the meloniteing on this particular barrel or not.

From what I can remember without doing all of my research over again and I could very well be wrong......  If you are going to Melonite a Stainless barrel it has to be done just right or it becomes very brittle.  I remember reading on one of the Benchrest forums of cases early on of the rifling portion of the barrel basically shearing and coming out after firing a few rounds from a not perfectly controlled treatment.  Also, Nitriding becomes the anti-corrosion treatment as Stainless when heated that much loses its own anti-corrosion properties.  If you trust the facility you are sending it to you should be good to go.  If it was Chromoly without chrome lining I would say send it ASAP, well worth the money.  I'm sure you already know to make sure the barrel has just enough rounds through it to shoot well but not enough to be shot out before processing.  You could firelap it or just put a 100 or so rounds through before sending it out.  Keep in mind  Stainless barrels are known for decent longevity and the amount of ammo it is going to take to shoot it out will far exceed the $$$ of a new barrel when that time comes.  I would just buy more ammo with the money and shoot the heck out of it.