• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.308 long range barrels

Jgun

I've been looking at different calibers for my next large frame AR build, and although I initially liked the idea of trying one of the more "exotic" long range calibers, If I'm honest about what I'm likely to be doing with this gun, the 6.5 cals that are favored by the bench rest shooters, are probably more specialized than I need. I have considered the .260 but once again, I find myself leaning towards .308. I really don't have anyplace nearby that I can shoot 800-1000m and for some reason most of those smaller dia rds just don't appeal to me as much as 30 cal. Anyway, I've been looking at .308 barrels, and I'd like to have a 22" if I could choose, but I'm seeing that Rainier is offering their Ultramatch in a 24" length for $400. that sounds like a pretty decent price for an off the shelf barrel, but, since my goal is maximum accuracy, I'm wondering how much potential accuracy I might be giving away with an off the shelf barrel vs a custom chambered barrel. I know the Lothar, and Krieger barrels are good choices, but will cost more and probably take quite a while to get, although I could then get my prefered 22" length.

I'd be interested in any advice or guidance that you other members could offer to help me to make the right choice here as far as a barrel, and if anyone can offer any reason why I'd be batter off with a different cal for my intended goal of long range (not really long) max accuracy shooting either prone or off the bench. Thanks in advance for any help.

What about JP? Also Armalite Premiere Services builds custom match rifles that win competitions. They can provide premium barrels but you kinda are limited to what they are working on at the time with regards to blanks. Doesnt hurt to call.

The Rainier Ultramatch is good stuff but the Noveske ( AR-10 21") would be "The one to get" from Rainier when available if you dont mind going the AR-10 route.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've already got a Noveske .308 AR barrel along with one on one of my AR 15's, so I know that they're great barrels. I'm just wondering if a barrel chambered to my specs (tight) would possibly show any measurable accuracy advantage over the Noveske or the Ultramatch, or equivilant. I've heard good things about the Walthar Lothar barrels, and a buddy of mine swears that the one he had made for his AR 15 is the best barrel he's ever had, but He's using it for 3 gun not long range. Team Helotes, can you tell me how long it took to get your barrel after you placed your order?

I was going to buy a 24". I called over there and talked to Woody and told him what I was looking for. He suggested I get one of there Vamitac barrels. It was about $100 less that's was planning on spending. I mailed them a check, they do not take credit cards.  I had the barrel in my hands 8 days from when I mailed the check. It the best barrel I have owned. I will buy more. Here is a target from sighting it in. It was shot off of a bench at 300 yards.

IMG00140-20110415-2058.jpg

IMG00139-20110415-2057.jpg

If its a 22 " barrel you want , you may be better off just having some one make ya one , Don't see too many choices for that length out there.

What twist rate ?

My 20" HB ,Krieger Criterian ( off the shelf @ Fulton Armory )has proven to be a very accurate barrel  . 

You certainly can't go wrong with a Walther barrel  , ether .

The post about ordering the barrel and having it 8 days later sounds like some sort of urban legend. i thought that every part I order is supposed to be backordered, or delayed by miltary contracts if I'm ordering custom. It puts me in a awkward position, I don't presently have the cash to buy the barrel, but thought I'd get a deposit down if I were special ordering something. I'm going to give LW a call this week and find out what I'm looking at for one of them, along with if they are able to ship one that fast right now. I think that if they can deliver, I'll see if I can make it happen in July.

I've heard nothing but good things about the LW barrels from my AR 15 3gun friends. I've been wanting to try one of their barrels for a while. I'm not sure how long it will take for me to have this one ready for the range. Even though I don't have too many parts left to buy, the heavy buffer, bolt carrier, and trigger that I've got in mind, will add up, so I'll just have to see how business goes this summer. I've really got to stop building guns and start saving for optics, At this point, quality glass is the thing that I'm really lacking.

Nothing yet, but it's only been a week so far. Since I've settled on my caliber, and already have the parts that  determine what the style of the gun will be and how it will look more or less, I've been trying to come up with some things that might make this build more interesting for me. I'm not in all that much of a hurry. I was told by the people at Youngs, that they will be offering .308 carriers very soon. I like their  AR 15 carriers that I've used, so I may try one. Think I'll go with the XH rifle buffer. Trigger is still undecided, but there are lots of good ones to choose from these days. I'm planning to make my own pivot and takedown pins, and I'm considering lapping the upper. I am also thinking about having the barrel melonited, along with possibly  the carrier as well. I'm just not sure if I should assemble it and test for accuracy first, (probably) or have it treated first and assemble the gun once. Iv'e also read posts where people say it's better to break in the barrel before meloniteing, Guess I'll have to see what the guy I'm using has to say about it.

Lothar Walther barrel arrived this week, so I trial fit it today. This is basically what the finished gun will look like. It weighs 9 lbs as pictured (without bipod) and I still have to add bolt carrier group, buffer/spring, and trigger, so this will not be a lightweight, but I expected it to be heavy from the outset, just hope the barrel groups as will as the one pictures above.

post-164-136297278276_thumb.jpg

post-164-136297278282_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

JGUN....curious as to where you got your LW barrel in two weeks.  Have had a .243 barrel on order for over 6 mos from LW.  Keep being told it's going to ship and when press, keep getting that promise pushed out further.  Latest was a comouter crash that lost all records.  and now will not get the fluting that I originally ordered because they already turned the barrel......grrr.

MarkB

Mark,

Sorry to hear of your less than satisfying experience dealing with LW. I was researching barrel options for a long range focused barrel in the 22" range. one of the other members posted his range results with the LW Vartac barrel he had purchased from them. I was impressed with the accuracy he had gotten from the barrel, and have other friends that have ordered barrels from LW that are very happy with them. My friends that ordered barrels had waits similar to what you describe (without the order screwup you experienced). I have wanted to try out a LW barrel for a while, but did not like the long wait and high price that I saw listed on their site for a barrel made to my specs. The member told me that the Vartac barrels are stock items. I called up, the barrel was in stock, and was very inexpensive.I had it within a week. The only downside was that the Vartac is 20" instead of the 22" I had planned to order if I went with a custom barrel.

I still don't have the bolt carrier, so have not completed the build yet, but, based on my experience, and your's, I'd say that it looks as though they may not handle custom barrel orders quite as well as they do when you order an off the shelf barrel from them.

Woody is a pretty disparaging person anyways in my experience. He'd seemingly rather turn down money than make it by honest means. I've stubbornly waited over 2 years now for a LW barrel, and haven't seen hide or hair of it. I think my next dealings with them will be to retrieve the money I spent with them 2 years ago.