• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR 308 Extract-Cycle Problems???

seagiant

Hi,

I was talking to my friends that happen to be Gunsmiths and they were telling me that AR 308 have an inherent problem with overall cycling and gas problems running the bolt. I said I've never heard of anything like that. I'm fixing to take my DPMS 308 to the range for the first time,(waiting on my PRS stock) and wondering if I'm going to have problems? What's the story???

Hi Matt,

Does it have to be run "wet" all the time or just to break it in! Say 500 rds?

I run mine wet all the time, but you will probably find that as you get it broke in, you will not need to run it quite as wet as you do at first. Trial and error would be the best way to find where it's comfortable. If you still have issues running it lightly oiled, add a little more and shoot to test. If you get to the point where you still have issues with a nice heavily oiled carrier group, it's time to look at other contributing factors. My personal method is to diagnose from the cheapest factors up.... Use whatever works best for you.

Hi Sea    Ive never ever had a problemo on the first time out...and the count is 4 rifles...you see how stiff that bolt is in the carrier when its out of the rifle ? Its the gas rings and that cam being tight...soo lube her up real nice..I always put some gun grease on the locking lugs...making sure you dont get it in the chamber....that  helps a bunch! :)  Wash

Hi Thanks,

If the big brown truck shows up tomorrow,I will get my stock on and run to the range!

Got my fingers crossed for you!  Tell you what on the brown truck...ive got Big Jim's...(thats my driver) personal cell phone number and he's got mine...so if ive got a delivery coming or I have to sign...we call each other <laughs>

pretty sick huh? <lmao>

okay so tomorrow....a lil grease (just a tad) on the lugs...none in the chamber...lube the crap out of the bcg...do the one round function check...use 308 decent ammo....no 762 milsurp...and shoot the heck out of it :)

have fun! Wash

Hi,

Well I went to the range tooday with my new rifle and all I can say is WOW!!! This thing is nice! This is coming from a Garand,M-14,FAL kind of guy. one thing I noticed though is when I tried some of my reloads if the round when put in a Wilson case guage was just a HAIR proud the DPMS bolt would not go all the way into battery! The ones that fit the gauge perfect were no problem but the M-14 and FAL have no problems with them.

Be advised I take pride in my reloading but all the Nato surplus brass now is machine gun fired and really crap from what you used to get. Might have to use commercial 308 brass for this rifle! Are you guys having the same results? Oh yea, not one  FTE! It put the cases in a neat little 1.5 foot circle at about 4:00 clock!

Seagiant, I've been shooting reloads in my LR308 with no problems. I'm loading military WCC brass that was most likely fed through a belt fed gun and was somewhat beat up. I'm using Lee dies on a Dillon RL550B and have the sizer die adjusted down to where it just sets against the shellholder at the top of the stroke. The cases are trimmed and deburred the first time they are sized, and I've been loading them with pulled M8 147 gr. FMJBT bullets. So far, I've had no problems whatsoever with function.

Hi,

Thanks sounds about like what I'm using! The other thing is that this rifle is not even broke in yet! I'm going to put about 500 rds through it before I pass judgement! It is chambered in Nato 7.62 so I'm expecting no problems once I'm through break in!

It is probably the nicest semi-auto I've ever shot and that really hurts my other battle rifles! Nice smooth feel while firing everything tight,not like a FAL or M-14. The empty brass pile WAS a pile! Not scattered at all,which seemed strange,but nice. What kind of groups are you getting with reloads?