• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Pistol Vs. Rifle

planeflyer21

Still watching, but I had to stop to post this comment.  Very interesting information regarding the smaller caliber rifle bullets, which is the 5.56mm in this presentation.

I just brought this exact reference up in another thread about a short barrelled rifle, SBR.  Someone wanting a 10.5 and I suggested the 11.5, due to the extra velocity between the two - pretty big difference for an inch.  Fragmentation is the key, and muzzle velocity is the key to that.  Here's what the Doc has to say about it in his presentation:

"very interesting for the small calibers, and how they function - or, are supposed to function...  if you look at the new, modern high velocity rifle ammunition, the 5.56mm, the injury mechanism is actually not the direct destruction by the bullet, but the fragmentation and jarring of the bullet.

...the bullet fragmentates, and causes these large cavities. this is the idea, or the concept behind it.

...and this how these bullets became so deadly, that only when the fragmentate..."

I'll state it again.  Fragmentation is the key. 

Back to the video now...  <munch>

I found it more interesting later in the handgun portion of his lecture.

Essentially saying, and this is paraphrased, no handgun bullet is efficient as a rifle bullet is, so shot placement is critical.  Also how the super-expando blappo hollow points sometimes lack the penetration to get to vitals...once expanded.

The x-rays are interesting.

Jon

I'll also add that his comment on the photo of the SWAT guy with the single-point sling, leading to that "very common" self-inflicted shooting of enter above the knee and fragment, shattering all the bones beneath...makes me happy I listened to the anti-single-point sling crowd.

Although their argument was "If you don't hold your weapon with a single-point the muzzle slams you in the nuts."  <laughs>

Jon

That's what Harborview is all about!  Not many know it, but the LA Gang migration worked it's way directly up the Left Coast when old Fort Ord and 7th Infantry Division closed down in Monterey, and moved (somewhat) to Fort Lewis, Washington.  The gangs went with 'em. 

Seattle has turned into a mess, and Harborview is one hell of a trauma hospital now.  This guy definitely knows first hand.  Madigan Army Medical Center, ON Fort Lewis, used to carry the same level of trauma care and response, just due to the needs of the area, but I think the Army downgraded that status on them.  Everything in that area gets sent to Harborview now... 

• 2 weeks later...

I keep telling this to people over and over again and they never seam to get it. The big gap isn't between 9mm and .45ACP. It's between pistol and rifle.

There have been a number of studies and reports over the last few years on the effects of various ammunition. Ammunition makers get it but few others seam to.

FWIW. I personally like the .45ACP entirely for it's LACK of penetration. I've seen no indication it's going to be considerably more effective at stopping a man then 9mm, but I feel more confident that it's going to stay where I put it then any other.