• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

So, DPMS 16 inch AP4, or CMMG 18inch? Accuracy, reliability?

I've got a DPMS 16 inch AP4 on layaway right now, but when I went in to the shop, I saw that they had an 18 inch CMMG Mk3 on the shelf. There's a possibility I could swap the layaway, and end up getting the CMMG.

With the free float handguard that comes with the CMMG, I wouldn't have to spend the 200+ extra to customize the DPMS, remove the sight post, and install a handguard. So the price equals out.

Since they both use SR25 pattern magazines, I wouldn't have any issues there. It just looks like the fit and finish on the CMMG are nicer. I'm not sure I like the lack of a forward assist, though. Not that I NEED a forward assist, but it just looks weird without it...

I plan on mounting the "iron" backup sights at a 45 degree angle, so that I can use a high magnification scope on top, similar to what's commonly done in 3 gun.

Which one is better for accuracy? How's the reliability on the CMMG? I heard they had a problem with gas port size at one point?

Thanks

I really enjoy my DPMS Oracle the rifle is defiantly more accurate than me with my hand loads I've been able to shoot a .62 MOA (1.29")at 200 yards with it and I think the rifle can do better just the nut behind the trigger can't keep it tight. The only thing I didn't like  was the stock trigger the pull was long creepy and gritty and about 10lbs. Thanks to Survialshop on this site recommended the Giessel SSA and boy what an improvement  I know there are cheaper triggers out there but I'm glad I went with Giessel.

The only problem I've had with my rifle is an broken extractor I called DPMS and they had one mailed to me in about weeks time so there customer service seems to be good if you need to use it. The reason I believe that my extractor broke was the rifle seems to be overgased (ejection at 1:00 to 2:00 o'clock)along with some of my reloads being on the warm side caused the bolt to try to unlock to early. I plan getting a heavy buffer and see how this does and later on getting an adjustable gas block when I decide to put a free float rail on this rifle.

I did the DPMS barel brake in procedure as well it was listed in the back of your owners manual. It was a long and boring process  :cookoo: Did it help with accuracy who knows but I wanted my rifle to be as accurate as possable so I did as the manufacture recomended and like I said earlier the rifle shoots better than me. Would like to find sombody that can drive these rifles better than me to find out how accurate it really is.

Good luck with the new rifle I expect a detailed range report when you shoot it (with pics)  <thumbsup>

Sweet! This is good news for me. Have you done any customization? Planning to?

Nope a good scope and that is it well hold on I will put a spikes battle trigger in it that is the only con so far the trigger is atrocious for creep the break is good but horrible creep other than that it will stay a short sweet plain Jane carbine...