• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

178 A-Max + CFE223 ocw

NoFail

Hi everybody. Got busy at the range and got this stuff for you. I don't feel too wordy right now I'm just gonna get to the data and stuff.

To recap rifle used; JD Machine Tech receiver set, JP Super Match 16", JP BCG, JP EZ single stage, Slash's CAR 10-XH, UBR, Vortex FH.

IMG_0726-1.jpg

IMG_0727-2.jpg

178 A-Max

CFE223

Winchester twice fired. Re-sized with Forster Bench Rest die. Ultrasonic cleaned.

CCI BR-2

2.815"

CFE223 44.7 gr

IMG_0744.jpg

CFE223 45.0 gr

IMG_0745.jpg

CFE223 45.3 gr

IMG_0746.jpg

CFE223 jump to 46.5 gr

IMG_0747-1.jpg

CFE223 46.8 gr

IMG_0748.jpg

CFE223 47.1 gr

IMG_0749.jpg

CFE223 47.4 gr

IMG_0750.jpg

I reckon that's it.

Please comment. I have idea where I'll go with it from here.... I'm thinking work around that 47.1 next. I wanna keep up the velocity in the 16" with these 178's.

I dunno maybe, mikedaddy. But I took lots of time between shots and groups. I wasn't in a big hurry & was aware I don't want barrel to get hot. But I know ammo gets hot in the chamber when next one loads up. Maybe that's why I get the kind of groups I get a lot. Usually two close together and one off like it's a flyer. Maybe the one by themselves in groups is the first one. Darn now I can't remember, you just made me think about it.

Looks like you used one big target with some sticker targets for your individual  groups so take a look at the target as whole and look for groups with the same point of impact. You might want to figure the center point of each group to help pin point the point of impact in relation to your other groups. You should find 2 or 3 groups that have the same or close to the same point of impact. Choose a charge weight right in the middle of those groups you found the same POI and that will be your OCW and can work on seating depth to tighten up your groups.

To help with the math on the groups I use the On Target software its a free download for their early version or you can buy the updated one. http://ontargetshooting.com/download.html

I like the speeds your getting I'm going to have to try this load when I'm done with the 168's <thumbsup>

Thanks seasprite!! I'll take what you say to the loading bench. I do want to stay with the hotter loads for the velocity. I'll see if I can improve up there. I'm getting better with all the case prep and stuff thanks to advise from you and others. I took your advice about seating depth too. Thank you for all the help, bro!!!  <thumbsup>