• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

galil help.

edgecrusher

My friend has a galil in .223 and has a question I can't answer. He says its rough on brass, that the neck of the case is pinched when they are ejected, and is wondering if its normal. The rifle is a beautiful survivor,wood furniture, bought earlier this year with a low round count, under 300. It cycles, fires, and functions well in every way, except that the brass are essentially destroyed at the neck. I thought that it was maybe a tight chamber more than an extraction issue,  but I am not familiar with these at all. Ideas?

Ive got a Galil ARM .308. It does exactly the same thing. What I've been told is that they are way over gassed. The idea (as explained to me) is that they are supposed to function under all circumstances, with all ammo, no matter how dirty they are. It is a Kalashnikov design after all. I don't shoot mine much for just this reason. I've been told by people that if I were to reload and fire the reloads in a different gun (AR ?) the case would fire form itself and remove the dent that the Galil puts in the side right in the middle of the case, but I have no interest in trying that. I am of the opinion that mine is denting the case as the carrier comes back and the ejector pushes the left side of the case so that the case impacts the back of the ejection port as it ejects, but I may be mistaken. I have been told that I should try to modify the gas system so that it bleeds off more gas, but I have no wish to modify this pre ban Galil. The good news for your buddy is that .223 is much cheaper to shoot and discard than .308 is. Your friend might want to try reduce charge reloads (if he reloads) although that might have a negative effect on accuracy.