• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Let's talk regular CAR-10 buffer vs. CAR-10 XH *post 8*

85 Jimmy

I am about to replace my order for my UBR and read that "7.62x51 ARs may require the use of a custom short buffer and spring". I already have my extra heavy buffer and now I'm wondering if I can even use the UBR with it? The buffer measure's about 5 3/16" long and I don't know how long the UBR buffer tube is. Anyone know if the 2 will work together?

Just an update, I got off the phone with magpul and they said that they know for sure the CAR-10 buffer will work with the UBR, but they are unsure on the XH buffer. I tried calling Clint at heavybuffers, but no one answered... I guess I'll try leaving him an email

I just measured a carbine DPMS Pattern .308 buffer and it is about 2.5" long.  This is shorter then an AR-15 carbine and rifle buffer.  Sounds like you have a rifle buffer.  The UBR buffer tube is the same length as an AR-15 carbine tube.  If you look at the ads to the right and scroll down you will see the "Heavy Buffers" link, that's what you want/need.

Sounds like you have an AR .308 XH rifle buffer. On his site Clint lists the length as being 5.2" I think. For a UBR you will need either ths CAR 10 or the XH carbine buffer to work. Think of it like Rifle length buffer for PRS or other full length fixed stocks, and carbine length buffer for all collapsing stocks, as far as weight goes, thats dependant on preference and what your going to be doing with the gun. As far as the other brands, RR, etc, You need to check with Clint on that stuff. By the way, I need an XH rifle length buffer for my present build. If you decide you want to sell it PM me.