• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gas block with rifle length maten mono rail

usspfnorman

@usspfnorman:

I have a simple remedy for that gap. It will only cost $5-$15. Hell, you might already have the part in your gear box and didn't realize it....

Round Handguard Cap

Handguard_Cap_Round.jpg

I still think the flip sight is a good idea! <thumbsup>

Re: the LMT vs "Anyone with a mono upper" issue

There was no lawsuit. LMT just got the patent for their mono upper before anyone else. Mega cancelled their line so as not to compete in court at a later date. Plenty of other companies still make mono uppers. The largest being Colt. I doubt we'll be seeing LMT lawyers trying to stare down 200 years of Colt history in a courtroom. Canceling the Mono upper was a publicity stunt. Now everyone feels bad for the small guy and hates on the evil corporation. It was a very smart business decision on Mega's behalf. Now when they release their new product (which I'm sure was already in the works) they won't be competing against their own product. 

Just out of curiosity, maybe you can supply a few dimensions, Can you tell me what dia your barrel is at the gas block mounting location , what is the dia behind the locating shoulder, and what is the minimum distance it needs to be moved back in order to satisfy your problem? Also, does Krieger supply a gas block with their AR barrels?

Barrel without gas block.

Thats the best picture!  <laughs> this one with the barrel far away from that awesome monolithic! The gap looks fairly nasty <dontknow> So sell this barrel or better yet start a new build using a troy trx 13.8 battlerail that will cover your gas block and then buy a rainier barrel middy system for the monolithic!

there problem solved...case closed! <munch>  Wash

Midwest industries makes a .936 Low pro gas block. You didn't say what the dia is behind the shoulder, but if you took the MI .936" block, you could mill .312" off the back of it while leaving the part that the gas tube goes into. then all that would be needed would be to drill the gastube hole deeper, drill a new gas port hole up from the bottom .312" further forward, and drill a new roll pin hole. if the outside of the gas block is large enough, you might even be able to get away with just boring a hole in the back of it big enough for it to slide over the OD of the barrel behind the shoulder, and .312" deep. It would not be very hard for a local machinist to do for you. I think that it ought to be easy for any small shop to handle something like this.   

www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=253                                                                 

Well guys I talked to Mega and showed them the pictures, they said the gap is mainly caused from the gas system being an armalite gas system.  I was confused by this because I ordered a dpms style barrel so I called Krieger.  They said that the only thing thats considered dpms is the barrel extension and that all there barrels use armalite style gas systems.  So I called Mega back and we talked for a bit about them making a gas block for me and they said they'd have to have a meeting about it and that its possible since theres nothing like it on the market currently.  Mega also recommended that since it is a armalite style gas system to go with a armalite gas tube since there slightly longer and the extra length will provide more gas to help with cycling since it is a shorter barrel.  Any thoughts on this?

So I called Mega back and we talked for a bit about them making a gas block for me and they said they'd have to have a meeting about it and that its possible since theres nothing like it on the market currently. 

That is really good news! It wouldn't be all that hard to create. Just mill a sleeve around the barrel to go over the GB shoulder.

Mega also recommended that since it is a armalite style gas system to go with a armalite gas tube since there slightly longer and the extra length will provide more gas to help with cycling since it is a shorter barrel.  Any thoughts on this?

ABSOLUTELY! <thumbsup> If you use a DPMS gas tube, your gas key will not fully engage the gas tube. This could cause a light cycle on your Bolt Carrier Group. This will also cause excess gas/carbon to be released into your receiver, rather than out the ports on the side of the BCG.

Robo that's what I was thinking as far as the gas tube.  Even though the guy (I can't remember his name for some reason) I talked to from Krieger said that on his personal rifle he uses a regular ar15 gas tube and t works just fine.  I asked if it was an 18 inch barrel and he said its a 26 inch, so my thoughts are that the longer barrel is providing the excess gas that mine wouldn't.

I wasn't aware that Krieger only offered their barrels with Armalite gas system. Yes you want to order an AR 10 rifle length gas tube from Armalite in order to get best function. BTW, just to inform other members building with these barrels, I ordered a barrel from lothar walther earlier this year (rifle length gas system) and that is also Armalite gas port location, which is around .250" longer than Knights/DPMS uses for their rifle length gas system. Just one more instance where the large platform AR's don't adhere to a mil spec like the AR 15s do.

• 4 weeks later...

I had this exact same problem when I did my MA-TEN mono build last fall.  I did what Robocop1051 suggested, I just put on a round handguard cap, and it seemed to cover the gap quite nicely.  I could try to take a pic later looking down the rail, so you could see what it looks like.  The handguard cap  outisde diameter is just a shade bigger that the inside diameter of the rail so it looks pretty good actually.  I know I'm late answering but the cap does work. Here's some links to my rifle.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/517963_MEGA_MA_TEN_Picture_Thread.html&page=6#i5278126

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/517963_MEGA_MA_TEN_Picture_Thread.html&page=9#i5636829