• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR-Type Forward Assist Installation

I know this has come up a few times, and I mentioned using a 1 1/4" 4d nail to hold the forward assist in place, while you start the roll pin.  Last time I put one in, I snapped a few pics.  It's always easier to follow pics, than try to understand what someone is describing with written words.  <thumbsup>

Here are the necessary things that you'll need:

100_0509.jpg

The whole reason for the use of the 1 1/4" 4d nail is simple - you'd need 3 hands to try this on your own, and two people crowded over an upper receiver is, well, crowded.  The size of that hole for the rollpin is about 0.080".  You can try using a punch to hold everything in place, but most punch sets that you find will have shank diameters of 0.060" (very loose, and doesn't work well) and 0.090" (won't go in the hole).  Those are just the two punches that are closest.  The 4d nail is just under 0.080", and works great.

The recessed area below (the area at the red lines), in the forward assist, is what the rollpin has to clear, and it holds the forward assist in the upper, as well as limits it's travel.

100_0510.jpg

4d nail goes up through from the bottom - insert the forward assist and it's srping - flat area on the forward assist (from the above pic) faces in towards the center of the upper.  Push it in there, insert the 4d nail to hold it in place.

100_0511.jpg

Start the rollpin from the top - it'll go right down over the top of the nail.

100_0512.jpg

Once you get the rollpin started on it's way, you can remove the nail, push in on the forward assist with one hand, and strike the rollpin directly with your hammer. Seldom will the nail be in place, and the rolllpin catch the forward assist just right - most of the time, you have to push in on it a little to clear that area where the rollpin holds it in place.  Sometimes, you get lucky, though.

100_0514.jpg

Once the rollpin is holding the forward assist in the upper, in that recess in the forward assist, you can go back to the rollpin punch and set the pin fully.

100_0515.jpg

Happy pounding!  <thumbsup>

Needed it and used it in the past, militarily.  Have never needed it post-military.  Militarily, I'd have some range training where we'd have 12 guys, 25,000 rounds of 5.56, and two days of shooting, every four months.  That's when it's valuable.  I've never needed it on the battlefield, because you clean those bastards every chance you get.  I'm sure the guys in Mogadishu on 3 October 1993, 19 years ago, were glad they had 'em.  <thumbsup>