• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

M14/M1A Barrel Swap Assistance In Afghanistan

SDDuc996

We have a 21" heavy contour barrelled M14 but a Sage chassis for the light/medium contour. We have a light contour 18" barrel now, but unfortunately NOBODY here has the tools to do it. We tried the big repair shop at Bagram, Kabul, and even the Army Marksmanship guys' gunsmith don't have the tools anymore. We got a quote from the guys at Phoenix, but he's writing a list for tools we don't really need. (flash hider pliers etc.)

Besides the action wrench, receiver block, and headspace gauges, what other tools are really needed?

Is there a place (or person) we can rent them from?

Thanks.

These are the guys you should be probably talking to:

http://www.fulton-armory.com/

They don't have an action wrench listed in the tools section but I bet they could advise you on where to get one.

Brownell's has an action wrench part listed:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25116/Product/M14-M1A-M1-GARAND-RIFLE-ACTION-WRENCH-HEAD

I bet when you tell them that you are down range they will jump to help you out.

TG

^^^ Good advice - call Clint at Fulton Armory.  Ask to speak to him, he'll talk to you. 

Hours: 12:00pm-5:00pm EST, Mondays through Fridays (excluding holidays)

*Please note new phone hours

Phone: (301) 490-9485

Fax: (301) 490-9547

Email: info@fulton-armory.com

Address: Fulton Armory

8725 Bollman Place, Suite #1

Savage, MD 20763

You didn't say what you were doing for sights/optics, but if you intend to use a GI type castle nut front sight mount, or the gas lock front sight mount that is sold by Smith Enterprises, You're going to need some type of tool to verify that you have the barrel timed properly so that the front and rear iron sights are both parallel. there are special tools for this but if you have two accurate bubble levels they can be used in a pinch. I'd offer the receiver wrench and barrel block that I made for mine, but they are specific to the LRB M25 receiver and heavy barrel so will not be suitable for your parts.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Here are our options:

Buy the tools and gauges required to do the swap for approx $500-700.

Buy a Troy MCS Chassis (that accomodates heavy contour barrels) for $520.

Since we already have the Sage chassis, I was hoping somebody might have the tools we can "rent" or borrow.

Brother, get ahold of Clint at Fulton Armory, and see if he can help you out.  He's forgotten more about M1 and M14 accurizing than most people will every be able to learn, in a lifetime.  He probably already has the stuff you need, or he can make the stuff you need, or he can guide you to the other people that have what you need. 

Make that phonecall, man.  <thumbsup>

EDIT - Unless that's the info you already got from him...  :o <laughs>  If you did talk to him, and that's what he told you that you need - then that's what you need.  I'd be buying $700-worth of tools to convert these barrels to (how many) Sage chassis, before I'd be buying (how many) Troy MCS Chassis @ $520 per.  As soon as you get to two Troy Chassis setups, you've defeated the purpose, and the "rationale" in Govt spending - even who you work for, brother.  <dontknow>

I'll email him.

I'm not doing a number of EBR conversions, just one. I bought the Sage chassis while on leave with the impression that the barrel was medium contour. It turned out to be a heavy contour which was a no-go for the chssis that was bought.

This will be a one-off thing we're doing. If we can't rent/borrow the tools, most likely we will just get the Troy MCS chassis and save ourselves the heartache.

I'll email him.

I'm not doing a number of EBR conversions, just one. I bought the Sage chassis while on leave with the impression that the barrel was medium contour. It turned out to be a heavy contour which was a no-go for the chssis that was bought.

This will be a one-off thing we're doing. If we can't rent/borrow the tools, most likely we will just get the Troy MCS chassis and save ourselves the heartache.

When you email him, explain who you are, what you do, etc., with the specifics you need to, in order to get the point across - let him know who you are w/in constraints.  He might send it off to you, with the agreement to send it back...  <thumbsup>