• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

How Much Brass?

planeflyer21

ok so now I am curious- as I am very new to this whole thing.  A few hopefully not so dumb q's...

What is the actual cost difference in reloading vs factory? 

What are the major pro's cons to reloading

Also, can't reloads void your weapon warranty?

Cost depends on the round loaded and what bullet you load.

A good pro is that you can make a load that your gun really likes.  Con is that it gets addictive, you will find yourself loading tons of different stuff.

What TH said ^^^^^^ there. 

As a wise man on another forum once said "Between shooting your reloads, reading manuals, and actually reloading, your brain will soon be mush and good for little else."

It seems to be a majority rule (but there are exceptions) that most loads favored by certain firearms fall well below the maximum pressures for the caliber.

As to your questions:

As price of ammo rises for specialty rounds, your savings rise too.  In general rifle loads are more expensive than handgun (of course), ballistic tip boat tail bullets more expensive than FMJ, FMJ more expensive than lead.

The major "con", if you can call it that, is you had damn well better pay attention to everything you are doing while reloading.  Don't take ANY safety procedure for granted, check, double check, triple check, then check again.  Mistakes I've heard of include not realizing the page in the load manual had turned and WAY overloading the round to going straight to the maximum load.  Pay attention.

All manufacturers state that reloads/hand loads will void their warranty.  Yet the reputable manufacturers stand behind their products and I've seen them fix issues for cheap or free when it was the reloader's fault.  I've also seen them tell people they are dumbasses.

Reloading is a HOOT of fun (no offense Hoot)!  The first loads you make you will squeeeeeeeeeze the trigger, not sure if you should have taken up reloading, wondering/hoping everything will work correctly and BAM!  The weapon fires.  Your hands and fingers are all there.  The firearm looks good...no cracks or bends.  There is a hole in the target.  Heh!  Let me try that again (this last thought is you sinking the reloading hook, line, and sinker so deep that you will never get it out)!

Jon

The major "con", if you can call it that, is you had damn well better pay attention to everything you are doing while reloading.  Don't take ANY safety procedure for granted, check, double check, triple check, then check again.  Mistakes I've heard of include not realizing the page in the load manual had turned and WAY overloading the round to going straight to the maximum load.  Pay attention.

^^^ That, right there.  As soon as you don't pay attention, you'll do something "not quite smart," and end up on the bad end of reloading.

Reloading is a HOOT of fun (no offense Hoot)!  The first loads you make you will squeeeeeeeeeze the trigger, not sure if you should have taken up reloading, wondering/hoping everything will work correctly and BAM!  The weapon fires.  Your hands and fingers are all there.  The firearm looks good...no cracks or bends.  There is a hole in the target.  Heh!  Let me try that again (this last thought is you sinking the reloading hook, line, and sinker so deep that you will never get it out)!

Jon

I usually get so nervous that I just close my eyes and start jerking the trigger.  That method winds up with bull's, and I wonder why I doubted myself in the first place...  <thumbsup> <lmao> <laughs>

And as far as cost savings you'll eat that up by shooting more.

^^^^^Fact

But it is well worth it.

You'll find yourself in the store saying "Hhmmm...for that $50 for two boxes of ammo, I can handload about 100 rounds of brass.  Well that's the first time.  Better get twice as much so I can save more!"

<laughs>

Jon