• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

my deer season

shepp

weather didnt look that great here from wi gun season warm no snow and warmer weekend. got to deer camp late thrus night, woke up fri morning put everyones stands up and found myself a spot in a grown up clear cut to put my stand and saw a bunch of deer. thought hmmm maybe the lack of snow and 50* temps wont be so bad.

saturday i sat in my stand from sun up to sun down, hardly a sign of life. one pine squirrel and the ocational bird. bout 10 min before close i hear some people behind me (odd) 2 min later i hear a genorater fire up behind me so im like WTF! after makeing my stand on my phone and looking at the GPS map there is a cabin behind me out in the middle of BFE. so next day i move my stand at lunch, again morning and night sit its dead calm no birds no nothing......

same for monday woods is dead quiet.

tue we did a few small drives lots of sign but again no deer.

sat for alil bit wed while my buddy drove the low lands for us but that also resaulted in nothing.

think the weather being as warm as it was and the lack of snow on the ground had everything messed up this year. the deer not moveing is one thing but the woods not moving is another. we as a group ended up getting 7 deer up there 3 were shot off the worse stand on paper LOL

i liked hunting with the .308 great sitting gun, pretty heavy to lug while driving. before next year i think im going to do away with the quad rail. its a good chunk of metal im not going to use, not on a hunting rifle. on the other hand i really like the magpul ms3 sling, i like the multipul choices for carry and taking some of the weight off your arms.

To bad more deer were not around, we had a long dry summer here in central Idaho and the deer changed their habits and it took me awhile to get on them but we are having bumper crops of deer right now and we get to tags (one is a drawing) but the wolves have driven the elk and deer closer to civilization and it is really getting critical for the elk  deer season is almost over time to go wolf hunting...  I agree about quadrails and stuff that is not needed is it is a good hunting gun it will be a good battle rifle i carried my Dpms all elk season and killed a elk with it I am in the process of trimming weight i hope to cut it to right at 8 lbs.... unloaded

To bad more deer were not around, we had a long dry summer here in central Idaho and the deer changed their habits and it took me awhile to get on them but we are having bumper crops of deer right now and we get to tags (one is a drawing) but the wolves have driven the elk and deer closer to civilization and it is really getting critical for the elk  deer season is almost over time to go wolf hunting...  I agree about quadrails and stuff that is not needed is it is a good hunting gun it will be a good battle rifle i carried my Dpms all elk season and killed a elk with it I am in the process of trimming weight i hope to cut it to right at 8 lbs.... unloaded

This was the first year of the wolf hunt in wi. The wolf populations have been a lot more then what the DNR has said it's been for awhile now, bout 4 years ago I saw a pack of six come past my stand at dawn.

The weather has impacted him here too, long dry summer. And normally durning the one week gun season there's about 6-12" of snow and its 10-35* this year there was no snow and 40-55*.

Only thing I'm worried about with loosing the quad rail is upsetting the balance of the gun

Sorry to here about your hunt shepp, we had the same kinda of luck here in MO. dry hot summer with warm dry fall. Almost everybody I talked to struck out this year. As far as carrying my .308 in the field I found that having it slung across the front of my chest was the easiest way to carry it. I just need to get a forearm that I can put a sling stud on the side of it.

Sorry to here about your hunt shepp, we had the same kinda of luck here in MO. dry hot summer with warm dry fall. Almost everybody I talked to struck out this year. As far as carrying my .308 in the field I found that having it slung across the front of my chest was the easiest way to carry it. I just need to get a forearm that I can put a sling stud on the side of it.

I was using the magpul sling looped over my shoulder and back around under my opposite shoulder to a single swivel stud on the base of my buffer tube wasn't to bad but still beefy

This is what i use on my dpms and it works awesome position it anywhere you want... makes carrying a rifle on your chest a breeze...

http://www.blueforcegear.com/universal-wire-loop/

Alright here's what I did I put threaded swivel stud on the forearm with a some fender washers to hold it in place so I could use my bi-pod.

DSCF0381.jpg

The only problem I've run into carrying this way is with the stud on the bottom and my 6 round hunting mag is the rifle can flip upside down but it is manageable to keep from happening. The one other problem I had was when crossing a creek I ended up sticking the muzzle in some mud getting up on the far bank but was able to clear it with a stick through one of the slots on the flash hider. I blame my self for not watching the muzzle more closely.

DSCF0382.jpg

After reading Magwa's thread I decided to get the Apex hand guard for my rifle and different sling this ones actually for my Winchester 94.