• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

what treatment for my bolt carrier

Jgun

So, I was able to pick up an AR 10 bolt carrier to finish my current build, but I had wanted to go with a chromed carrier (had my heart set on the Youngs), so I'm thinking about having the phosphate coated AR 10 carrier, treated with something. I know some of you have used the fail zero, and i think the Melonite has been tried by some. I'm wondering how those that have treated carriers like what the are using? Does anyone know of any companies that will chrome my carrier?

WMD guns does Nickel Boron coating on parts. I think its $100 for your entire BCG (bolt, firing pin,etc) and hammer. nickel boron gives the about the same surface hardness as chrome, maybe even a little stronger, but doesn't alter the dimensions of the components and has less friction than chrome. Also is easier to clean after trip to the range.

I've heard good things about the fail zero (nickel boron). Ive heard that it is very hard and that it is also very slippery, but one thing that concerns me with all of the treatments that I'm considering, is the stories I've heard about excellerated wear on the mating parts, specifically the hammers. I've heard people say that their hammers wore in the carrier contact area in as litle as a few hundred rds. That is on of the reasons that some companies advise that the hammer be treated as well, but I'm thinking that if you treat the hammer then the other untreated mating parts of the trigger will be more likely to wear out prematurely. Not sure how much of what I've read is fact and how much is opinion.

if the NiB coating gives the same surface hardness as the chrome, wouldn't the wear on the hammer be the same when using a chromed bolt carrier? I think it would. So you'll have the same issue with the chrome as with the NiB. The NiB is just more convenient cause you can treat any part with it and not need to worry about changing tolerances.

I was under the impression that the NIB is actually rockwell harder than chrome. And I think that other factors may apply. I have not used any components that have been NIB treated, and that is why I am hoping to hear from members that have used it, telling me that they have 1k+ rds through their guns with no signs of wear. I remember that at one time I was going to install one of the DPMS TIN treated bolt carriers in an AR 15, until I read some reviews from those that had. There where horror stories of Geissele triggers that had the hammers wiped out in less than 100 rds. Of course TIN is not NIB (it's the gold coating commonly used on drill bits and end mill) so maybe my concerns are unwarranted.

Just shoot it and buy another one in the finish you want.  Pretty soon you will have enough spare parts to build a second gun in a totally different config.  I have a JP Bolt Carrier with the QPQ process which is very slick and simply wipes clean.  If you must coat the one you have I would have it Ion-Bonded.  I have seen some of the Youngs MFG carriers people have had Ion-Bonded and they made me extremely jealous.

• 3 weeks later...

I checked with American Trigger about the AR-Gold and they recommend NOT to treat hammer with Nib.

Here's the response:

Are you talking about doing this to the hammer, or that the hammer will

come into contact with a treated bolt carrier?

If you are messing with the hammer, it's S7 @ R58. You have to ask the

coating folks if their process will compromise the heat treat.

If it's just the bolt carrier, no problem.