• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Iron sights for 10TBNF

Gentlemen...

Hello, new guy to the forum and to the Armalite platform, but some experience with firearms in general.  Recently my son purchased a new AR-10TBNF and he should have it soon. He works, I am retired and can spend lots of time searching the net and helping him make plans to spend his money ;D.

It will be a while before he recovers from the purchase of the rifle ($ wise) and I don't want him buying less of a scope than he wants then having to buy another, so I am suggesting he buy a set of iron sights for it while he saves for a scope.

I see several sets of irons online, but none specifically for the 10TBNF. I have seen some guys having problems with the elevation of the front rear mounts, and would rather ask before spending.

Can I get some input on a good set of irons that will perform well and be a bolt on for the 10TBNF without changing the rails at either end... and be worth keeping on board in case of a scope failure?

Really excited about this father-son project.

Thanks for the welcome and the information.

It appears that Armalite sells the MI SPLP kit for these specific rifles. I am thinking those with a 45* "adapter" on the gas block and the rear pic. would work. I just need to know if using up those 3 furthest back slots is going to create an eye relief problem when we mount a scope.

Need to go find some pictures.

Just trying to avoid spending his $ on stuff he won't be able to use later. I will go look at those Magpul Gen 2's.

The front gas block rail and receiver rail are at different heights on that rifle. If you put 45 degree sight adapters on it you will run into problems with sight alignment. The lower front rail will cause the front sight to be moved over to the right quite a bit in relation to the rear sight.

Hemi I suspected that may be the case but have not seen the workaround anywhere on the net.

The only workaround that I know of is to change out the gas block to one that has a rail that is on the same plain as the receiver rail, and then you would need a front sight that is designed to be used on the handguard. They are shorter than the ones for gas block mounting. THEN the 45 deg. offset adapters would work.

Okay.

I emailed Armalite and got a response, for my specific model with the lower gas block.

Their part numbers EX3404 (front) and EX3406 (rear)are designed to work on the 10TBNF and one of the 16 inch barrel units with the same offset plane rails.

These are clearly M.I. sights...as shown on the Armalite website.