• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

• 2 months later...

I don't know how many folks know this, but DPMS changed the top height of there AP4 uppers some time early this year. I had an older AP4 upper with a DD middy handguard, I was designing a gas piston gas block to interface with the rail, after I got my project finished and working I decided to build another upper using the same height gas block and DD rail, WHAT!!  the new AP4 upper was about .050 lower than my older one. Some searching around I found a post that someone confirmed what I had found. Today a customer came in with a new AP4 and a Tray rail, and sure enough the upper was about .050 lower, it looked like s--t, told him I didn't know what he should do. I think the rest of the manufactures of other DPMS type uppers are sticking with the original height.

Can or does anyone else have any knowledge of this  ?? 

Thanks 98Z5V for the info,

I think they changed there uppers so customers who buy an upper/rifle with the plastic handguards will have to buy there railed handguard insted of the aftermarket. I know I have purchased my last DPMS anything, I think they will realize they shot thereself in the foot, there are some pretty good manufactures coming along  better compnets.............