• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Handguards

Catchdog

Cool deal. One thing I'm having trouble figuring out about the Troy, is weather or not you need the front delta flange (or whatever it's called) on the gas block. I assume not since that would negate it being a free float handguard.

If you're looking at the MRF-308 rail, you don't need the front triangle (or round) handguard cap - that's a freefloat rail, and only attaches to the barrel nut. 

What kind of rifle do you have, first off?

If you are really thinking about getting the Daniel defense rail, just do it. During my maten build I was conflicted about which forearm to buy. I ended up with the JP enterprise 15.5" because of cost, but I still want the DD. I tried off loading the JP in the BST but I had no luck. JM2C. <thumbsup>

post some pics when you are done.

The DPMS-version of the MRF-308 comes with a barrel nut, which you can install with a LARGE crescent wrench - it's got two wrench flats on it.  No crazy tools required.  It's basically an Armalite barrel nut, in dimensions, but threaded for a DPMS upper receiver.  You'll need to grind a little on it, to clear the gas tube - you'll see when you get it.

When you get the Armalite version of the MRF-308, you only get the rail, and it mounts to the stock Armalite barrel nut. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I think I have myself talked into the Troy. The DD's cost is turning me away, and the extras I'd have to buy. I guess the game changer would be the weight. I haven't been able to find a weight on the MRF but I think the DD weighs around 1.2 lbs. Does anybody know the specs on the MRF?

Thanks. I'm not sure total weight, but the thing has a 22" heavy barrel right now, but I've got a Rainier Arms 16" select to replace it. Which is quite a bit lighter, I think just the barrel swap is going to knock 4 or 5 pounds off. That's just roughing it anyway.

I'm no guru but I purchased a Midwest Industries gen 2 two piece drop in carbine length quad rail, I was impressed it went together like the  OEM hand guard except it was way more solid of a mount up, unlike the oem,it had absolutely no play.I've put probably four hundred rounds thru it since and its still solid <thumbsup>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you are really thinking about getting the Daniel defense rail, just do it. During my maten build I was conflicted about which forearm to buy. I ended up with the JP enterprise 15.5" because of cost, but I still want the DD. I tried off loading the JP in the BST but I had no luck. JM2C. <thumbsup>

post some pics when you are done.

How much do you want for it?  And what don't you like about it?

• 3 weeks later...