• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR308 SASS unusual upper movement

Hello all I've recently purchased a DPMS LR308 SASS made back in 06. I've noticed the upper moves from side to side as well as up and down on the rear takedown pin. Has anyone else experienced this? I bought a gapper for it like on my AR15. But there is no way it will fit in there. Also the bolt doesn't lock open after the last round? Any and all input is greatly appreciated and welcomed!

Welcome Kenter!

It sounds like you have two unrelated issues going on. Before I get into those, isn't the "Gapper" that little thing you stuff behind the trigger guard? That's just a comfort thing. It won't tighten up you rifle any.

For the wobble in your receiver, that was normal in the older models. The specs were more like guidelines then. You can try an Accu-Wedge or replace the take down pin with a tension pin found here

Try boiling the accu-wedge in water, dry it off, then install it while it is hot. It should crush easier and then form to the shape needed (like a football mouth-piece). You also may have to shave a bit off the bottom with a razor. The accu-wedge can be a "shape-to-fit" accessory, especially in regards to the 308AR.

The Magpul PRS uses a rifle length buffer system. When the bolt doesn't lock after the last round, it is usually a gas issue, and not a buffer issue. Although it wouldn't hurt any to upgrade to a heavy buffer eventually. Check out the gas system again. Make sure there are no loose screws or leaks. Also check receiver resistance. Remember that the 308AR likes to be VERY wet as it breaks in. It could take 100-200 rounds before the parts really start mating to each other. You can polish the inside of the upper receiver and the BCG a bit too. Don't forget a little lube on the buffer as well.... I'm not kidding about the wet receiver part... DROWNING!!!