• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

The SBR Process begins...

98Z5V

So, first part is on order, but kinda out of order...  <dontknow>

Tomorrow, the stripped upper and lower will be on order.  That makes more sense, then I can get the serial number on the Form 1 and get it out of here...  Looks like I'll have a few months to gather the parts.  Everything is already in two website shopping carts, just awaiting checkout, so we'll see how this goes.  ;D

My giant dilemna was color, believe it or not.  Another FDE gun, or leave this one all black?  It'll be dependable, solid, but not pure top-shelf parts - GOOD parts, but nothing that anybody would look at and say "Holy POO, dude!!!  How much is IN that thing?!"  :o  Won't be anything like that...  but it'll be nice.

Here's the big stuff:  10" rail, BCM 11.5" carbine-gas barrel, BCM BCG, a slew of MagPul stuff, and another EoTech 512.  YHM stainless suppressor, down the road.  That's it, in a nutshell.  I mocked it all up in PimpMyGun, and here are the combos that came back out...

post-71-13629726415_thumb.jpg

post-71-136297264151_thumb.jpg

post-71-136297264152_thumb.jpg

post-71-136297264153_thumb.jpg

I thought about sending out the upper, lower, and rail together to US Annodizing.  Decided against it.  I'll be honest - I went FDE again.  This one is getting painted...  <thumbsup> ;D

By the way, I'm headed back out to the range tomorrow to start on the .308 shooting.  I should be able to finish up all the stuff with the semi, and have some targets for you.  <thumbsup>

• 2 weeks later...

I've already decided to paint the SBR, so as a "practice run," I painted my 14.5" gun.  Ripped it all apart a few days ago, shot it, and just put it back together after everything was mostly cured/dried.  The SBR might get this same treatment, which is Krylon Khaki, or it might get some DuraCoat, in the Magpul FDE color.  Here's the 14.5" now, in Krylon Khaki:

Repaint_1.jpg

Repaint_2.jpg

Repaint_3.jpg

Repaint_4.jpg

Repaint_5.jpg

nice rifle.is your 14.5 brake pinned and welded or is it a SBR ? if so , a ballpark figure of the time it took to complete the process ,start to finish of legally owning a SBR ? should the process start with a trip to my local gunshop ? any help would be appreciated .thanks

nice rifle.is your 14.5 brake pinned and welded or is it a SBR ? if so , a ballpark figure of the time it took to complete the process ,start to finish of legally owning a SBR ? should the process start with a trip to my local gunshop ? any help would be appreciated .thanks

That one has a pinned and welded YHM Phantom on it, bringing it out to 16.1 inches.  I did that myself, and didn't send it out anywhere.  I'll keep track of the new SBR build timeline and details, and it'll definitely get documented in a thread.  I'm already planning on getting a pistol receiver extension for it, so I don't have to wait to shoot it.  As soon as the Form 1 comes back approved, I'll change out the parts and put the stock on it. 

man that looks great

I was surprised at how the spray came out - I like it.  I had to take the pics on my FDE kitchen floor - that kitchen tiling project took me longer to complete than three rifle builds...  :o <lmao>

• 1 month later...

The SBR is chugging along, slowly, but it's gaining some ground. 

Parts on it:  Aero Precision stripped upper and lower (love that stuff), DPMS standard lower parts kit, Midwest Industries T-10 rail.  Mil-spec buffer tube, ST-T2 buffer, carbine spring.  Magpul MOE grip and MOE stock, MOE trigger guard, ASAP, BAD lever, sights, and AFG 2.  Undetermined if it'll stay this way for awhile, or if I go into the pistol route, whilst waiting for the paperwork.  Nothing has been sent in yet, due to moving back to Arizona.  Once that's done, the paperwork goes in.  Big delay on my part due to that, but once the move is made and residence established, the Form 1 goes in and I start tracking it all.

Ultimately, it'll have a BCM Standard 11.5" carbine barrel, run a carbine gas system, have an A2 flash suppressor initially (and switch that out for a YHM QA Phantom for the YHM SS Suppressor).  The YHM lo-pro gas block, BCM large latch Gunfighter, BCM BCG, and BCM parts for the forward assist and dust cover.  Micro red dot, probably a Vortex Sparc initially, then moving to an Aimpoint T1 later.  None of that stuff is on it right now - staying stripped down for the time being.

The barrel will only protrude about 1.5 inches from the end of the rail, as it sits now - that's with all the mounting tolerances in play.  I'm right at the ATF 26" minimum now, before barrel install.  Here's how it parks in the safe:

Always download the latest forms directly from ATF.  All the stuff for the SBR will go to Martinsburg, WV.  All the info is on the latest forms, and they're pretty easy to read and understand - here's the first place to start - you'll need the ATF Form 1 if you're going to build it yourself (you would be the "manufacturer" of it), or the ATF Form 4 if you're buying a complete, factory-built SBR:

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-4.pdf

• 3 months later...

Didn't want anyone to think I abondoned this project - not in the least!  A cross-country move got in my way, and things are finally starting to settle down a little after that one.  Just finished the build into an "AR pistol" this weekend, and as soon as I can get the ATF paperwork together and signed by the Chief LEO in town, it will be off to ATF headquarters for the SBR lagalization processing.

Here's how she sits right now:

ARPistol2.jpg

ARPistol1.jpg