• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS Charging Handle vs. AR10 Charging Handle?

I may learn something new here yet again today?  I bought a charging handle way back from a guy that advertised a .308 AR charging handle for sale.  I then bought my DPMS upper and it came with a charging handle.  The first charging handle is about 1/2" longer than the one that came with my DPMS upper?  Fill me in on the details here?

Sounds alot like the difference between a 5.56 charging handle and a .308 charging handle to me.  That's about the length difference between the two flavors.  I actually ran an Armalite AR-10 charging handle in my DPMS-based .308 for a few days, whilst waiting for the arrival of my BCM Gunfighter .308 large-latch handle.  The factory Armalite part fit my DPMS just fine.  The Armalite handle and the Gunfighter handle are the same length.  I don't have a stock DPMS .308 handle to compare anything to, however. 

I am pretty sure now that the AR10 charging handle is about 1/2" longer than the DPMS CH.  I am not 100 percent sure, cuz I don't have a AR10 upper to try it in.  The one that fits in my CMMG upper is 1/2 shorter, so it has to be an AR10 handle.  I am pretty sure that the AR15 handles are even shorter yet than either one of these? Thanks

the longest one might be from a Rock River LAR-8....

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=254

The Receivers on these things are REALLY LONG!

Again , still learning . Getting more interesting by the day .

I see why so many posters want parts compatibility lists . It might take a while to make one up & than you would probably add to it weekly.

How can we make one up here & just add to it ,than make a final list ?

There's one started on hand guards.