• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel Question

moopey

I've been doing some looking around for barrels and have a couple questions.

My first question is, is a there a big difference in a 18" barrel vs. a 16" barrel. I won't be hunting with this rifle. It's just a range gun. I'm not into target competitions or anything like that.

I'm leaning toward 16" right now just to keep the rifle fairly short. My next question is which of the following two barrels would you prefer?

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-308ar-nitride-barrels-prod54801.aspx

This is a 16" barrel that uses a carbine length gas system

http://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfatitan185lwcm1x10750gasblockchrome-lined-1.aspx

this is a 16" barrel that uses a rifle length gas system.

I'm curious what the difference would be when using a 16" rifle with different length gas systems. Any info would be great. Thanks.

-Derek-

Derek-

If I had the option at the time, to buy a FA 16" rifle length barrel, I never would've bought my carbon fiber wrapped barrel. FA cancelled the barrel just before I started building, and then started selling it again just after I received my custom barrel.

The rifle length gas will soften the impact of your rifle, as the longer gas system will slow the reaction of your rifles cycle.

All that being said, I ordered the 18" barrel you posted from NEMO Arms. It's for a friend of mine. I wanted him to get the FA 16", he wanted some god-awful 22" heavy barrel, I talked him down to the 18" HBAR NEMO.

If you want a fun, accurate and portable rifle... Go with the FA 16" rifle length.

If you want to stretch your shooting out, or you plan to do the greater majority of your shooting from a bench, go with the NEMO 18" rifle length.

Either decision you make, is a good one.

When you say soften the impact, do you mean soften the recoil, or just soften the impact on the internal components? This would probably be better on optics as well I'd imagine?

Most, if not all my shooting will be done at a range, possibly at a bench. I was thinking of getting as long of a hand guard as I can for a 16" barrel and possibly put a bi-pod on the front end. Not exactly sure yet.

The 16" Nemo is still a decent barrel? I just need to make a decision on gas system length vs. the FA barrel.

I was worried the FA barrel might be the better choice. I'll have to start putting more money aside for the barrel then. haha

Thanks for the info.

Derek-
If I had the option at the time, to buy a FA 16" rifle length barrel, I never would've bought my carbon fiber wrapped barrel. FA cancelled the barrel just before I started building, and then started selling it again just after I received my custom barrel.

The rifle length gas will soften the impact of your rifle, as the longer gas system will slow the reaction of your rifles cycle.

All that being said, I ordered the 18" barrel you posted from NEMO Arms. It's for a friend of mine. I wanted him to get the FA 16", he wanted some god-awful 22" heavy barrel, I talked him down to the 18" HBAR NEMO.

If you want a fun, accurate and portable rifle... Go with the FA 16" rifle length.

If you want to stretch your shooting out, or you plan to do the greater majority of your shooting from a bench, go with the NEMO 18" rifle length.

Either decision you make, is a good one.