• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

SI Defense Barrel?

D.R.D.

Really?!  Is it more of a heavy/bull profile or a standard contour?  

I figured since I'm considering the SI Defense BCG, I would be nice to match it to the barrel.  

It says it is phosphate finished.  Is that different from melonite? (Not that it really matters...I'm planning on having the whole thing Cerakoted anyway)

D.R.D     If you arnt 6'3 and dont weigh in at least 225 you will want a gun bearer to tote that thing and lift it up to your shoulder for you....if its like the sass dpms profile ...I had one dpms sass and couldnt get rid of it fast enough....then again im a woosie   :)  Wash

This one? http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-308ar-nitride-barrels-prod54801.aspx

I've heard mixed reviews on their guns, and they are not the cheapest.
Who makes their barrels?

I found this: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/591261_308_AR_barrels_from_NEMO.html

Are there any performance, longevity or durability advantages to polygonal vs. this SI or Nemo barrel? I ask since I will often be staying & shooting near/in salt-water -air conditions. I heard Polygonal is easier to clean. I absolutely must have accuracy, but I can't have the thing rust out on me. What kind of treatments or coatings help with this and don't affect performance (inside on the bore)? I assume military DMs / SEAL snipers would need a similar treatment if operating in adverse/wet/salty conditions, no?

Edited by D.R.D.

Good to hear, Wash. I'm still eying BHW's 20" bull barrel to take out to a grand (I heard BHW makes Rainier match polygonals). Still concerned about weather proofing it. Cause if there is something tested that i can do to protect the bore, I would possibly consider a FA, Krieger, Bartlien, etc. Its the cleaning, price, and reported performance of BHW that has me leaning that way...but I'm open to other options.

Thanks,

DRD

FA and Rainier UltraMatch. The UM are available quite often these days. I have two here now sitting, If your hell bent on the B word barrels get it from Rainier.

By The "b word", do you mean Black Hole, Bull Barrel or Bartlien?

It seems Rainer doesn't stock the heavier profiled barrels, though.

Edited by D.R.D.