• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

A tactical/practical rifle sling - for the economic minded

KS Shooter

does anyone have any pictures or links to good tactical and practical rifle slings without breaking the bank?  I know that the stock question is what are you putting it on (dpms lr308 classic), what are you going to use it for (shtf and target shooting) and it has to be dependable.

I can make them myself if I see the pictures or links.

thanks

ks shooter

KS,

I will not show you the best sling knowing you will copy it and take someones intellectual property.

But I will tell you that a basic 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" web strap mounted on the side of the rifle front and rear works like a champ.

Once you get it setup for hasty slung position you will rule the range. Also at that point the design is pointless anyhow because you will just be using a strap anyhow ;) 

J Boyette,

I think you are misunderstanding what I was asking.  And then again, maybe not.  I am not out to make slings to sell.  I just like to see what others have that works good and see if I can make it for myself for less and have made it myself.  I don't know your financial situation and do not want to know, I just know my own and If I can make it myself and save a few dollars, then they can go for other gear that I need. 

Having said that, if you don't want to share your ideas, that's fine with me.

KS Shooter

A good 2-point with a sliding adjusting buckle would be a great place to start.  Some of the early Vickers slings used a cam-lock type buckle to adjust the length.  I swear that buckle looked just like the buckle on an issued rucksack strap, too.  ;D  Pull the excess webbing through the cam lock to shorten/tighten up the sling, and pull a loop of 550 cord on the buckle release to slack it up. 

J Boyette,

I think you are misunderstanding what I was asking.  And then again, maybe not.  I am not out to make slings to sell.  I just like to see what others have that works good and see if I can make it for myself for less and have made it myself.  I don't know your financial situation and do not want to know, I just know my own and If I can make it myself and save a few dollars, then they can go for other gear that I need. 

Having said that, if you don't want to share your ideas, that's fine with me.

KS Shooter

Sir,

I counterpointed my self in the post, that was the point :)

Of all the slings I have found the basic black GI web sling like this one -->LINK is all you need once you get it setup for hasty and loop.

I did not mean to be a pain, its just I hate when people copy others ideas. Even it its for personal use. No disrespect meant or implied.

Have a great week. 

Example of a 2-point with a quick adjust:

Fabbing up something like that would not be difficult.  I'm running that exact sling on a mid-range 5.56 gun with a 16" barrel.  I use a single point on 3 4 other 5.56 guns, one two are 16", one a 14.5", and on the new 11.5".  On the .308 with 18.5" barrel, I'm re-using an old 3-point sling - I won't be doing any left-right transitions with the .308.  Had I not had that sling laying around, I would have put another quick adjust 2-point on the .308, just for ease of making adjustments as I carry it.

Edit - forgot about one of the 16" 5.56 guns.  :o <dontknow>

I have had about every kind of sling out there and sold them for half of what I paid.  I did it the hard way? I have found the MS2 sling from Magpul to be the best all around sling. You can go from 2 point to single point in 2 seconds. Now, my use is walking in the field to and from a coyote calling stand with the 2 point and getting back in the truck with the single point. LOL!!!! You may be able to make one that works the same for less than the asking price of $50 or find one used for 2/3 the price. But you still have to have the single and 2 point attachments also.  I use the front attachment from MI and drill it out to fit the Quick Clip, pictured 3rd from left, http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=80 , and for the rear, I use the GG&G Agency addapter here 1st or 2nd one, http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=138&parents=153,174 , I know this is all expensive, but once you got it it is great.  This works for me, but I am sure everyone has something different in mind. I chose the two attachment point on how they mounted. the front is the lowest profile one that would work, until Magpul puts their version out someday, which I have two on backorder from brownells. The rear mount was chosen because it has the hole to clip to on the upper side of the buffer tube and not down on the lower side. This keeps my rifle from twisting when it is hanging.  Just my 2 cents and I hope it makes sense to somebody out there?

The best all-around cheap sling I've used is the Uncle Mikes black nylon conventional sling. The older ones with the steel hardware are better. They are light weight and virtually indestructible. Anything more complicated and I end up modifying it anyway. I would try a couple different styles, then you'll have enough raw material on hand to build one to suit you. Nothing more fun than sitting in front of the TV rigging and rerigging a sling, swivels, buckles, sliders, frogs, keepers, duct tape, black electricians tape, leather awl, etc etc etc ...

After being "gifted" with an Army 2 point tactical sling from a soldier buddy of mine, I was SOLD on it.  I've been shooting for years with a "hasty sling" setup on all my military rifles.  Now that I've tried the 2 point tactical sling, I'm sold on it and have one on all my modern rifles.  It allows you to sling the rifle, muzzle down and walk easily but if you need to bring it up quickly, it snaps into your shoulder and is ready to fire on a moment's notice.  You can also easily sling it up, muzzle up, in a traditional method without any effort at all.  Finally, you can leave it horizontal on your body and the weight is distributed nicely along your shoulders.  In that configuration it and also be snapped into place quickly.  I LOVE these slings.  They make a 12 pound rifle almost as easy to handlle as the much lighter AR15.  You can find them by different manufacturers out there for under $40 if you look.  Mine is a Blackhawk .

Hope that helps.

Rome