• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Buffer and spring

I have a NiB BCG already, I just need the spring and buffer to match it.

ETA: Just finished the ordering form at HB's, put your name down as how I found out about them. During my short time here I have read about them, also heard about them other sites as well. From what I gather, the parts are gtg, but customer service seems to be 50/50. Hope I don't have an issue and need to contact them about it.

Edited by Tactical45

• 1 month later...

Make your own HEAVY BUFFER

I am on another build trip. I have several Spikes Tactical T2 buffers that use tungsten powder instead of steel and tungsten discs.

Not sue if they are the cause, but I NEVER heard the AR twang until I used a lower without the T2 buffer.

Getting an AR10, going to make a heavy rifle buffer. Purchased a bottle dog ear tipping weight tungsten. It was the best price for pure tungsten, $14 for 3 ounces of powdered tungsten.

Going to take the AR10 buffer apart and put the powdered tungsten in. Hoping for another two to three ounces. Heavy AR10 buffers are VERY EXPENSIVE ($125). Standard rifle weight is 5.4 ounces, Heavy Buffers makes a 303 stainless 10 ounce buffer.

Pretty simple, drive out the roll pin that holds the plastic buffer tip, remove tip. Shake out the steel or tungsten discs that are inside.

Fill buffer with tungsten allowing space for the plastic tip to be installed. Reinstall tip and roll pin. Shoot

Actually I would weigh every step, and use epoxy on area between plastic bottom and tungsten powder so nothing can escape.

Next project or projects is adding adjustable gas blocks to my ARs as they are ALL overgassed. Then I plan on cutting weight from the bolt carrier and buffers.

My new DPMS 308 Long Range 308 Lite rifle gets in to the FFL tomorrow. Going to break in the barrel by shooting 3-5 shots each time, then clean with JB Bore Cleaner and Bore Snakes. I figure it will take 20-30 shots to get the new 8-33x50 scope dialed in starting at 25 yards, then 50 then 100, finally at 200 yards.

I have a Wilson Combat adjustable gas block on order, depending on how the 308 recoil affects me I may take the barrel off and have the muzzle threaded for a JP Enterprise 'Cooley" brake. Last year there were days I could not lift my right arm up to shoulder level without horrible pain. Much less pain this year.

With the gas block installed I will go with a lighter rifle length buffer. They don't make one, but I have the JP Enterprise AR15 LMOS buffer that weighs 3 ounces compared to 5.4 stock. It is too long, plan on using a tubing cutter to cut the aluminum to the correct length and then drill a new roll pin hole for the plastic bumper piece

It is shocking that a AR15 carbine buffer is $10 while a AR10 carbine buffer is over $30.

Almost as bad for the rifle buffers. But by using AR15 buffers and cutting 0.63 inches with a tubing cutter, you get a AR10 buffer.

Unless you have a LOT of bucks and are sure the $125 stainless AR10 rifle buffer is what you need, you would be better off using a AR15 rifle buffer and filling it with different weight tungsten powder. Should be able to get between the stock weight of 5.4 ounces up to nearly 10 ounces.

It is shocking that a AR15 carbine buffer is $10 while a AR10 carbine buffer is over $30.

Not really, a crap ton more CAR buffers are made than LR308 buffers. Also a CAR buffer only weighs 3oz while an LR308 buffer weighs 3.8oz (from Midway). If you buy an AR-15 H buffer that weighs the same, the price isn't far off.