• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sights for DPMS Oracle upper

shovel1966

Hi,

I have a complete DPMS Oracle 16" bbl and am looking for a set of sights that will be the right height.  I see that the gas block rail is lower than the upper.  Would this take the same profile sights as an Ar-15 upper with a low profile gas block rail or is this a completely different spec?  Thanks.

Shovel

• 1 year later...

I have just bought my first AR in .308. I have the DPMS Oracle and I also have noticed that the gas block is lower than the main rail, It is a flat top. I have already bought my reflex site and want to co-witness a good set of iron sights with it.  I like the Magpul MBUIS sights but not sure the front sight will fit due to the lower gas block height.  Could someone please help me out as to what would be a good set of iron sights to put on my rifle.  This will be used for law enforcement purpose's also. Thanks for any help I can get.

I believe that gas block is just held on with set screws? Personally I'd avoid the headache of dealing with the mismatched height and replace it with a standard rail height gas block, or a nice flip up sight. Its an easy swap, and any AR15 gas block will work as long as it's the correct diameter for the barrel.

Try this one from Yankee Hill it will mate with the DPMS gas block on a Oracle and match up and zero with the Yankee Hill Rear sight..

Product #: 454763 Yankee Hill #: YHM-9584 UPC #: 816701013474

Yankee Hill Machine Front Flip-Up Sight - Matte Black - YHM-9584

Midway has them listed Out of Stock, I found one on eBay, search for Yankee Hill YHM-9584

(You may want to mount it backwards on the gas block so it will fold down flat) unless you take it off to use the glass sight)

Don't take my word for it make some measurments to be sure

Edited by mrmackc

• 3 weeks later...

If you ask DPMS customer service about that, like I did, they will tell you that "you're over-thinking things."

In my opinion DPMS was under thinking things and they still are. The Oracle I bought in Dec '15 has the same problem. Putting a 1/2" picatinny riser on it won't work either because then it is too high.

The 308 Oracle was designed for glass sights only. but there is a front sight that will be tall enough to match the standard height front metal backup sights.  I found one and a matching rear from either Midway or Brownells.

No it was on eBay. Yankee Hill YHM-9584 But I had already said that . As Gloria Radner would say.........."well,..........never mind."

Edited by mrmackc

The 308 Oracle was designed for glass sights only. but there is a front sight that will be tall enough to match the standard height front metal backup sights.  I found one and a matching rear from either Midway or Brownells.

No it was on eBay. Yankee Hill YHM-9584 But I had already said that . As Gloria Radner would say.........."well,..........never mind."

Designing it for glass or red-dot type sights only reminds me of the USAF's decision to remove close-combat guns from fighter jets and rely on missiles only. I reckon I don't completely trust technology to always work or for glass to never get broken and prefer a durable backup for when/if the rest fails. Just seems like it would make a lot more sense and be just as easy for DPMS to make the gas-block rail the same height as the receiver rail and avoid the issue altogether.