• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

gun bench

dirigoboy

If you want to trim those carriage bolts, grab them with a pair of fairly large channel locks and bend back and forth a couple times and they will break flush with the nut. Faster and easier than trying to saw them off. Speakin' of 'rhoids, I built my first bench out of rough cut oak 2x6's, still a little green, and I had to have three friends come over to help me turn it over once I had the legs on it. It's ugly, but I still use it for my heavy work.

I'm just gonna leave the bolts alone unless they become a problem.  I was planning to go with some wood filler of some sort in between the boards and then a lacquer or polyurathane.  I am putting it the only place I can for right now, down in a little half basement of my duplex.  I probably will want a light or two for it but that will come later.  I will probably have to run my own power for it down there because I think the only power in the basement is for two small overhead lights, good thing I'm an electrician ;)  I know what you mean SW, I manhandled the top down the stairs to get it inside before a storm hit and it's not very builder friendly.

Someone please explain to me at what point you attain "OFS" (old fart status), because ashamedly, I was actually giddy about getting my lights up over my bench this afternoon.  It's over......I know it's over.

The lights are from Lowe's.  They're 48" 2-light T8 shop lights @ 17.98 plus 2 cool white lights (not included) @ $6.98/pr.  The price includes the jack chain for suspension, as well as the suspension hooks, so there's no additional hardware to buy.  I seem to keep doing that due to the age in which we live.  :o

Anyway, as I wait for more flotsam to arrive from Brownell's to further dress out my pride and joy, I have a couple of new pics with other window dressing.

Again, two parts due to pics.

post-21-136297263331_thumb.jpg

post-21-136297263337_thumb.jpg

Nice!

I cant attach lights to a bench. I tend to forget they are there when wrestling with stuff in a vise.

In my wood shop I kept whacking the bulbs with wood. I finally broke down and bought those shatter shield bulbs  ;D

Of course I also put a rifle barrel through my moms favorite tiffany lamp.

Im klutzy like that

The key to good craftsmanship is patience. When you find yourself getting irritated or frustrated walk away and take a break. After trouble shooting electronic systems for 30 years or so, I've found the biggest advantage I have over the new guys is I'm just a lot more patient than they are.

Shop around for vises.  I like this Grizzly, as it's just right for me and fits my budget, but I found that  it does not lock solid in the upright position for clamping things horizontally, so I will have to see whether I am missing something (a real possibility) or that I'm going to have to drill the housing and throw in a bolt for stability.

Couldn't figure out this bit about the freewheeling action of the vise, so I emailed the company. 

So ok, I'm an idiot. They said that once you clamp something in it, it doesn't move.  ::)

• 3 weeks later...